Discuss What does the Facebook Connect button do? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
f Connect button at the top of the forum home page - what does that do? I clicked on it and it wants access to my profile on FB. Did 'do not allow' because I'm not sure what/why it is doing this.

i think if i am right it posts like a link on your profile to this page if you did it on this one.
i have done it before when on a newspaper when i wanted to share a story and it published the detail on my wall and news feed

Hmmm. Not too sure about whether I want to use that then. None of my friends understand electrics. Do you mean, if I'm reading a thread and I want to share it with FB friends, if I click on the 'f Connect' button then a link to the thread appears on my FB profile, or just a general link to this website?

Just for fun at the bottom of the Facebook page were it has the English UK option click on it and then click on it again and choose the English Pirate option and see what happens :p

Hmmm. Not too sure about whether I want to use that then. None of my friends understand electrics. Do you mean, if I'm reading a thread and I want to share it with FB friends, if I click on the 'f Connect' button then a link to the thread appears on my FB profile, or just a general link to this website?

i think its a link to the thread. not used it yet as i don`t really go on face book tbh

just tried it. it comes up and gives the title of the thread say it was "The price of scrap cable" it gives a link to the story you like and then a separate link at the side is a forum home page link.

Thanks Phil. As I said before - none of my friends have a clue about electrics - don't think they would be interested, so would be a bit pointless me using the button. Interesting to hear what it does though.

Yeah, basically you're right. You can 'like' a topic here and it sticks a one-line note on your FaceBook profile (if you have that option enabled, you get a choice to pick which options you'd like to use) so your FB friends see what you're liking. It's going to be increasingly more common on many websites that you use to login to or comment on, and even Google's new +1 (google it if you've not heard of it yet) is meant to be something similar.

That aside, if you have friends from the forum in your facebook profile, you can see when visiting a thread if your friend liked it, and if you have a dozen friends it becomes even more useful as there's a big chance you'll see threads that several of your friends liked a thread.

It gets used a bit on tilersforums.co.uk, but not much at all on electriciansforums.net and ukplumbersforums.co.uk. I guess tradesmen generally don't use Facebook and similar sites that much...... yet ;)

Reply to What does the Facebook Connect button do? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net