Discuss What exactly am I classed as and what do I do now? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rastaboi

Hi all, firstly thanks for looking at my post. I'm 31 and started off about 4-5 years ago as an electricians mate for a friend just doing the grunt work. I loved it and decided to advance in this career path. My friend recommended having a chat with the college he trained at and after meeting the head of the department and discussing the stuff I'd already done (chasing in, first fixing, glands, etc.) he said I could go straight in and do my level 3 2330 without doing level 1 and 2. I did this in sep 2011, passed everything with distinctions and also obtained my 17th edition by june/july 2012. I've been working as a subby for a local company since oct 2011 mainly in central london and have done may different aspects including intruder, fire, small power, 3-phase work etc. I'm looking to expand my prospects and join a larger firm maybe but I'm not exactly sure what I'm classed as!

I think in order to get a JIB card I need to do my NVQ level 3. But what am I classed as now, an improver? An Electrician? What about an AM2, do I need to do this? I've updated my CV as I want to apply for more jobs but would like to know exactly where I stand and how to progress further and make myself more employable.

By the way, I'm located in Shrewsbury, willing to work away, hard working, very reliable and flexible, dependable, not an idiot and have good references available. Please contact me if you are interested, CV ready to go :) Won't let me put any contact details up so private message?

Thanks again

Thanks again

sorry to say but under jib you are classed as a labourer, all you have a 2330 lvl 3, but you should have done lvl2 before 3 because these course have change and you may have to start again

with half of 2330 + 17th i'd say you'd get graded as adult trainee.
labourers have no technical training at all so i wouldnt call you that.

sorry to say but under jib you are classed as a labourer, all you have a 2330 lvl 3, but you should have done lvl2 before 3 because these course have change and you may have to start again

Hi Johnuk, thanks for the swift reply. What do you mean by start again and these courses have changed exactly? I only passed it last year? ANd I went in and had a chat/interview with the head of department?

if you want to do nvq level 3 on its own you have exactly 24hrs to enroll.
the qual is discontinued from 1 st feb , ie on friday it ends for good.
best get your skates on :)

hey, all courses have changed to 2357 now so not sure what qual you get under the new one I passed under 2360 part 1/2, you will have to check with your college, its just what I read from some other people chatting about it, but if you do go for the jib, you would only get a trainee adult grade if you get a sponsor/ref to back you, I think

What comes after that then? Is there any point enrolling?

as from next week the only course available to get a jib gold card is the 2357 which is 2330 parts 2 & 3 and nvq all rolled into 1 course.
so you'd have to do your 2330 level 3 all over again.

Isn't 2357 the one where you have to be working for someone to do it as it also incorparates the NVQ 3?

Basically like the old apprenticeship when you had day release to get your qualifications whilst working.

Electrician from jib siteQualification and Training
Must satisfy the following conditions:-
(1) Must have been a registered Apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had adequate practical training in electrical installation work.
(2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - see Note 1.
(3) Must have obtained a pass in the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate or the EAL Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (500/3526/5) (or approved equivalent).
Note 1: If the applicant meets the other two criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:
(a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate or EAL Doploma in Electrotechnical Services (500/3526/5) (or approved equivalent)
(b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.
Duties
Must be able to carry out electrical installation work efficiently in accordance with the National Working Rules for the Electrical Contracting Industry, the current I.E.E. Regulations for Electrical Installations, and the Construction Industry Safety Regulations.

Oh the joys! Really appreciate all your advice and time guys, gonna see if I can enrol in the NVQ today/tomorrow, it's an absolute nightmare all these different qualifications and assessments etc! Had to do day release for college to do my lev 3 2330 and was working all over the country at the time, mainly london so meant working mon-wed all day, then catching a 4-5 hour train home on wednesday night getting in at midnight to then do college on the thursday all day and travel back down thursday night to work friday. What a ballache!

youll never get enrolled at a college in less than 24hrs , their admin systems are too slow.
private training centre is your best shot - book it over the internet with credit card at hand.
around £200 for the deposit if i recall correctly.

I'd bitch slap which ever college / training provider let you do the 2330 level 3 without the level 2. That is a complete joke, without level 2 in the eyes of the JIB it was pretty much pointless you doing level 3...and even more so now that the whole thing has changed and you'll have to go back to square 1.

Feel for you, as you've been badly advised. Which college / training provided did you do the 2330 level 3 with out of interest?

Hi Marc, I did my level 3 at Telford college of arts and technology. I am curious now as to why after my meeting with the head of department this issue wasn't raised! I'm going to enrol today/tomorrow in the nvq with a private training firm as I see no other alternative. What would other people do in my position? Should I contact the college and complain?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Marc, I did my level 3 at Telford college of arts and technology. I am curious now as to why after my meeting with the head of department this issue wasn't raised! I'm going to enrol today/tomorrow in the nvq with a private training firm as I see no other alternative. What would other people do in my position? Should I contact the college and complain?

yea ring them up,,,the different between a college and a private firm is , college will assessor u before u pay anything I,e to see if u can even finish the nvq3, private firm will take your money

no point going through a college for nvq3 anyway as none of it is classroom based.
time is of the essence in the op's case and a private operator will sort it as fast as you can pay for it.
the good news is if you can enroll by tmorra you get 2 years to complete the skills portfolio even though the course has ended so that takes the pressure off.

Reply to What exactly am I classed as and what do I do now? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net