Discuss What exactly is required to calibrate a voltage continuity tester? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Twitchboy

My company does not allow us to use our own voltage/continuity testers. Instead we must use the ones they provide for us. They're pretty cheap but do the job well enough.

I have had my testers for just over a year and the label says that I shouldn't use them after that time so I handed them back to my supervisor expecting him to order me a new set as sending them off to be calibrated would cost more than purchasing new testers.

Instead, he appeared ten minutes later with the testers I had just given him with a new label and a new date. He said "there you are, they're now calibrated".

Is it possible that he could have calibrated them? What (if any) equipment would he require to have calibrated them? I have my doubts that he did anything at all other than stick a new label on the old testers.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to be tested, adjusted to a reference within tolerances and a report created. The reference source should be calibrated and traceable to the National Standards.
I find it very hard to believe that they could be calibrated on all ranges within 10 mins. If it's a big enough firm they may have calibration equipment but I would doubt it.

PS the above is not specifically directed to electrical test equipment.

They need to be tested, adjusted to a reference within tolerances and a report created. The reference source should be calibrated and traceable to the National Standards.
I find it very hard to believe that they could be calibrated on all ranges within 10 mins. If it's a big enough firm they may have calibration equipment but I would doubt it.

PS the above is not specifically directed to electrical test equipment.

It's a big firm alright but I have asked around and no-one is aware of them having any calibration equipment. Would it matter that's it's just a basic bog standard voltage continuity tester? I suspect that he just put it into a proving unit, checked the voltage looked about right and slapped a new sticker on it.

This is the model Buy Voltage Indicators VOLTAGE TESTER Fluke FLUKE T100 online from RS for next day delivery.

I also can't find any information on this model having fuses in the test leads which I thought was a prerequisite for GS38? As far as I'm aware it is supposedly GS38 complaint, but how can that be if there are no fuses in the test leads? I don't want to raise these issues if I don't have to as I can do without the bother, but I'm starting to think that this guy might not know what he's doing.

The instruments only need to be compared against another instrument which has traceability.
If the ones being tested are out of range then they would have to be sent out to someone capable of correcting calibration.
With the Fluke they would need voltages available at the different levels to check.

Been there, done that, not the below tho'

But it's more likely in your case they've just been re-lablelled.

It's a big firm alright but I have asked around and no-one is aware of them having any calibration equipment. Would it matter that's it's just a basic bog standard voltage continuity tester? I suspect that he just put it into a proving unit, checked the voltage looked about right and slapped a new sticker on it.

This is the model Buy Voltage Indicators VOLTAGE TESTER Fluke FLUKE T100 online from RS for next day delivery.

I also can't find any information on this model having fuses in the test leads which I thought was a prerequisite for GS38? As far as I'm aware it is supposedly GS38 complaint, but how can that be if there are no fuses in the test leads? I don't want to raise these issues if I don't have to as I can do without the bother, but I'm starting to think that this guy might not know what he's doing.
they`l have gone on a checkbox.....
thats what they`l have done......just run em on that.....

Sorry what do you mean traceability, what sort of equipment would that be? Would he have needed something that can output different voltages?

well they've got lcd displays so will require calibration is my understanding ( and also what i meant to say in the in the above post was lcd display not digital display) :)

well they've got lcd displays so will require calibration is my understanding ( and also what i meant to say in the in the above post was lcd display not digital display) :)

The fluke I linked to has no lcd or digital display. Some of the similar models have but mine dont. It is purely a voltage indicator with LED's to indicate voltage level so you may be right. I dont know.

It may be that as it's just continuity and voltage indication it's just a check not a calibration. The device is a guide, it's not like you are writing the results on an EICR or anything like that. If it's just for indication I would say they have 'tested' it on a check bos of some description with a voltage indication check.

If the instrument was used for producing legally binding reports then proper 'calibration' would be required but as it's just an indicator I think an annual 'check' would be OK.

It was because of this information, gleaned from this forum, that i purchased the T100.

It's a decent tester. I just don't know if it needs calibrating and if so, in what way lol. There is more than one model though. Some with a display and some without. Mine have no display.

It may be that as it's just continuity and voltage indication it's just a check not a calibration. The device is a guide, it's not like you are writing the results on an EICR or anything like that. If it's just for indication I would say they have 'tested' it on a check bos of some description with a voltage indication check.

If the instrument was used for producing legally binding reports then proper 'calibration' would be required but as it's just an indicator I think an annual 'check' would be OK.

That would make sense if it werent for the fact that I'm perfectly capable and qualified of checking my own testers. I will need to subtly investigate this matter further. Does anyone know if these test leads have fuses in them? There doesn't seem to be. There should be shouldn't there if they are GS38?

[FONT=&amp]Approved 2 pole voltage testers (AVT) that indicate voltage in broad bands do not require calibrating. If the AVT incorporates a meter it requires annual calibration, just like any other meter to ensure accuracy[/FONT].

2 pole AVTs that rely on an illuminated bulb (eg. Drummond and similar types) are required to be GS38 protected by a HRC fuse (500mA) or a current limiting resistor and fuse, these are usually housed in the probes.

2 pole AVTs of the type that have a LED/LCD voltage detector with integral test probe and an interconnected second test probe, have internal GS38 protective impedance and current limiting resistors built into the detector limiting the current (usually <20mA) and energy input to the detector. Therefore they do not require an additional HRC fuse and current limiting resistor in the test leads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voltage/Continuity Tester, Electronic, Voltage 0 to 480 AC, Voltage 0 to 690 DC, Calibration Frequency 50/60 Hz, Safety Rating CAT IV 600 V, Display LCD with Bargraph, Audible Continuity, Battery Type AAA, Agency Compliance CE, IP64, Auto Ranging, Special Features Low Impedance Test to Check for Ghost Voltages, 3-Phase Rotation Test, Built-in Flashlight, Double Molded Housing, Includes Batteries, Protective Cap, Pouch Case and Instructions.

Reply to What exactly is required to calibrate a voltage continuity tester? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net