Discuss what frequency do 'HFAC' low voltage transformers (like varilight) typically output? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danieru

Hi,

I'm replacing low voltage halogen with MR11 and MR16 LED bulbs. AC supply would be simplest because of existing wiring, but I'm concerned about LED flicker:

Characterizing and Minimizing LED Flicker - Lighting Solutions | DigiKey

I'm looking at varilight transformers:

VARILIGHT Transformers

Since they market for LED use, and the installation leaflet says that the ideal distance between the transformer and light bulb is just 25cm, I'm assuming they are increasing the frequency and thus higher attenuation on the line, the question is how much? There website and documentation seems to be bereft of any actual frequency values on the output of their transformers.

Before buying one and a multimeter just to test frequency, does anyone have experience with these transformers or similar, and know what frequency they typically output?

Re: what frequency do 'HFAC' low voltage transformers (like varilight) typically outp

Your best option is to lose the transformers, replace the lamp holders with GU10 ones and get 230V GU10 LEDs.

Re: what frequency do 'HFAC' low voltage transformers (like varilight) typically outp

Your best option is to lose the transformers, replace the lamp holders with GU10 ones and get 230V GU10 LEDs.
Hi, I appreciate the advice; can you explain your reasoning so I can understand why you're suggesting it?

Do LED GU10 bulbs typically have internal circuitry to overcome flicker? Do they work well with dimmers?

Do LED GU10 bulbs typically have internal circuitry to overcome flicker? Yes they do. Do they work well with dimmers? Lamps are available

GU10s, superior lamp holder, no transformer/driver so less to go wrong and easier installation and testing.
I reckon the days of ELV (12V) lamps are numbered.

On a 2 way circuit you may experience lamp flicker when they're off, but that is easily rectified.

I did a kitchen last week in GU10s, lady of the house is delighted! :)

Certainly something to consider. I already ordered MR11 bulbs, so I need to work out the budget either way to see if it makes sense.

I am still curious about the output frequency of those varilight transformers though:)

In your experience, how well have 'dimmable' GU10 LED bulbs worked with various dimmers? Aside from falling within the dimmer's rated Wattage range of course. I have several conventional incandescent dimmers in place already, it would be nice if they don't need to be replaced.

Reply to what frequency do 'HFAC' low voltage transformers (like varilight) typically output? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net