Discuss What fuse to use 2 pin to 3 pin plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ashley

-
Reaction score
I have bought myself a compressor for airbrushing and it came with a 2 pin German plug on the plug it says 16A250v so i initially thought cut it off and stick uk 13 A plug on. however, i am now questioning this as the compressor is 1/6hp 220-240v/50HZ which is making me think a 3A or 5A fuse would be ok.

1/6 hp (0.17hp) is very small and drawing very little current. Not sure on the start-up current of it. Will have to fit a slow-blow fuse.
Out of interest, what size cable has come with the compressor. Does the compressor have it's own fuse? (Not the one in the plug)

it came with a 2 pin German plug on the plug it says 16A
Doesn't this give you a clue?
I'd put a 13A fuse in there. a smaller fuse may pop due to inrush current when compressor starts up.

1/6 hp (0.17hp) is very small and drawing very little current. Not sure on the start-up current of it. Will have to fit a slow-blow fuse.
Out of interest, what size cable has come with the compressor. Does the compressor have it's own fuse? (Not the one in the plug)
its a standard twin and earth, also i tried only for about 10 seconds powering it up in a shaver plug converter with a 1a fuse in and it worked

There are many many different types and sizes of twin and earth. Often the size is written on the flex. But, if it works with a 1A fuse, then put a 3A in the plug. It’ll be fine.

Can you show a pic of the German plug because it may require an earth connection and a shaver adapter will not provide one.

Question? what does the fuse in a plug top protect?

Question? what does the fuse in a plug top protect?
The cable, of course. We don't know the size of the cable, I did ask..

PS, the fuse goes in the bottom of the plug, not the top:p

The cable, of course. We don't know the size of the cable, I did ask..

PS, the fuse goes in the bottom of the plug, not the top:p
He said a standard Twin and Earth lol, must be a 16mm2 then lol

does it? lol

We don't know the size of the cable, I did ask..

So did I, in post #2.
I thought that "standard twin and earth" wired into a BS 1363 plug was frownded upon.

It is highly unlikely to be T&E if the cord came with the appliance, OP error.

Okay Okay, roll over, I will rub your belly lol

Yaaaaaay... will you scratch my back as well???
Hold on.... that sound rude....

• Funny
Reactions: MDJ
3A fuse then

Reply to What fuse to use 2 pin to 3 pin plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock