Discuss What goes here? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MisterJJ

DIY
Reaction score
The home was built in 1952. I've owned it for a year. A few years ago it was completely rewired and stucco was put over the original block walls.

Apparently there was some box attached to the wall that seemed important enough to stucco around it and run the old conduit into the brand new breaker panel.

Then, at some point the homeowner removed the box and replaced it with an outlet for the sprinklers, violating several codes along the way. The wires now in the conduit were obviously added by the homeowner so I don't know what was originally in the conduit.

I'm mostly curious what was there but I would also like to relocate the outlet and replace what was there just to cover the ugly hole.

20201231_080801.jpg

The home was built in 1952. I've owned it for a year. A few years ago it was completely rewired and stucco was put over the original block walls.

Apparently there was some box attached to the wall that seemed important enough to stucco around it and run the old conduit into the brand new breaker panel.

Then, at some point the homeowner removed the box and replaced it with an outlet for the sprinklers, violating several codes along the way. The wires now in the conduit were obviously added by the homeowner so I don't know what was originally in the conduit.

I'm mostly curious what was there but I would also like to relocate the outlet and replace what was there just to cover the ugly hole.

View attachment 63378
Misterjj I really can’t see a code violation but I agree with you on that looks ugly. It’s hard to say what used to be there but I wouldn’t loose no sleep over it just relocate the GFCI receptacle and get creative to cover up your hole. Maybe buy some stucco and cover the hole with that. Good luck with your project

Misterjj I really can’t see a code violation but I agree with you on that looks ugly.
The code violations are that they double-tapped the common and ground in the panel, despite there being available spots. Also, behind the weatherproof cover is a metal interior use box. Easy fixes.

But yeah, I probably should just pull that flex conduit out of the stucco and patch the whole area, then try to match the color as best I can.

I'm working on this because I intend to convert a 20 amp 120v circuit to a 20 amp 240v, using the common. I will mark the common in red, of course. Then put in a 6-20 outlet to charge an electric vehicle.

It's a Seimens panel so I was going to use breaker QF220AP... or QF220A. I haven't been able to figure out what the difference is.

Thanks for the input.

The code violations are that they double-tapped the common and ground in the panel, despite there being available spots. Also, behind the weatherproof cover is a metal interior use box. Easy fixes.

But yeah, I probably should just pull that flex conduit out of the stucco and patch the whole area, then try to match the color as best I can.

I'm working on this because I intend to convert a 20 amp 120v circuit to a 20 amp 240v, using the common. I will mark the common in red, of course. Then put in a 6-20 outlet to charge an electric vehicle.

It's a Seimens panel so I was going to use breaker QF220AP... or QF220A. I haven't been able to figure out what the difference is.

Thanks for the input.
As far as the breakers ending in AP or A is probably the interruption rating. Just for your info inside your panel there is a big sticker letting you know what type of breakers are allowed to be used in the panel, torque requirements etc.

The wiring of the "Orbit" box is worthy of an entry in this forum's dodgy trade pirtures thread as it looks so poor!
agreed... that's ruff as a Bear's Arse. (that's --- to our American friends).

The wiring of the "Orbit" box is worthy of an entry in this forum's dodgy trade pirtures thread as it looks so poor!
Just loose cables going down to the sprinkler valves. I'll have to straighten that out too.

I wish I had pictures of the stuff I saw working in China. In the shop they brought over a welder and instead of a plug it had 3 wires with a hook at the end of each one. They went over to the open breaker box and hung the wires on the live exposed wires at the breakers and were good to go.

Reply to What goes here? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net