Discuss What happen to laptop if run in AC current instead of DC and what are the effects in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi - I’m sure someone will reply with experience :eek: . My best effort was I plugged in a 48V DC adapter to that 12V port and I destroyed the laptop. No fires or anything but it never worked again.

Im just asking for curiosity,what happen if plug 240VAC directly to laptop charger port without DC adapter. What are the effect for laptop if plug in 240VAC into laptop???

It will destroy the laptop. And it is also dangerous, as none of the insulation in the laptop is designed to protect against that voltage.

If you do happen to try it on an old laptop, ensure you take the necessary precautions.

The motherboard would likely be destoyed instantly, might catch fire and components such as electrolytic capacitors and batteries might explode. Much would depend on the characteristics of the fuse or breaker feeding the 240V supply, as the laptop will present more or less a short-circuit to it until any internal fuses or PCB tracks fail.

Im just asking for curiosity,what happen if plug 240VAC directly to laptop charger port without DC adapter. What are the effect for laptop if plug in 240VAC into laptop???
Deswin if you put 240vac on a lap top you will fry it. When you plug it in it has a DC power supply built in the plug

Hahaha all those reply i expect. I know it will destroy the laptop cause the motherboard, ram hardisk all run by DC. But just want to know specifically damage happen to laptop. Make sure i will capture video after my sinister act to the laptop i target. ????????

If your feeling brave,

instead of a laptop, why not connect mains across the battery terminals of your car?
use a good sized cable, a screw instead of a nail.
turn it on and see what happens.

p.s. phone the fire brigade first and don't plug it in until you can hear the sirens in the distance!!

P.P.S UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ACTUALLY TRY ANY OF WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN IN THIS POST.

There will be a powerful involuntary evacuation of your nether region , followed by an overpowering smell of the substance released.

Well pluging 240VAC to laptop maybe a bad idea cause when damaged happen, there will be some trace like burning smell, melt laptop cover, spark trace. What i did is i put laptop while ON in microwave and turn ON the microwave. After take out the laptop, The laptop completely spoil and unable to turn ON. if have some little bit burning smell. Sometimes Revenge is pleasurable ??????

Reply to What happen to laptop if run in AC current instead of DC and what are the effects in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net