Discuss What happens when current flows through the earth? Does it trip? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Supposing I fit a metal light fitting, and I do a terrible job - and the live comes out from the terminal screw and hits the fitting, but it's well earthed - current will flow through the earth cable (hopefully) providing a circuit with less resistance than if I touch it.

When this is happens, does it just keep flowing until I notice something is wrong and cut the power etc.? Or does this cause a short and trip the RCD/something else immediately?

Context: I'm a DIY'er, I'm not qualified (you may have guessed!).

It trips the breaker or blows the fuse.

Back in the power station, the earth and neutral are linked. Which means a live to earth short is the same as a live to neutral with no actual load involved. Ohms law states I = V/R
Or in English, current is voltage divided by resistance. A dead short is zero or very very small resistance, and your voltage is 230 in this country.

so we have I = 230/something close to zero
Divide anything by near zero, and you get very very high current. Enough to trip a 6A breaker

Reply to What happens when current flows through the earth? Does it trip? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock