Discuss What happens when you send maintained 250amps through 1mm flex. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I do this so you dont have to ;).

Sending 250amps through a 1mm approx 10amp rated flex...... down the earth core until it evaporated the copper.

flex2.jpgflex3.jpg

You can see how the earth spirals in pic 2 as it burns and melts away all the insulation and sheath adjacent to it.... i expect it got a tad hotter than 70 degrees as is the rating of the cable.

Love it....great way of testing computer server rooms, we do similar tests with 6v, 20amp accross 1mm cable, on boards to test vesdas, called the hot wire test.....loads of fun

To tell the truth ...i had a little help from a dopey welder who drop his weld gun while on permanent feed onto a speed control box for a dc motor on his turn table hence it used the alternative earth path which was a tad under-rated.

Shame you didnt take a video of it

I was called out to it... the damaged had already been done and from all accounts a lot of smoke as the insulation found itself several orders of heating than it was rated to..... as i said in parts the copper has vaporised with no trace .... it lasted a few seconds and other cores that were not in direct contact with the earth core are untouched from damage, it was a 5core flex so 2 cores survived the other 2 show external heat damage from the earth.

I called at my grandads the other week who was having problems in his shed. Bandsaw cable had burnt out and cable had literally melted so had everything around it. Could not work it out. Then I see the welder "grandad have you been welding with metal laid on the bandsaw" " yeah but it's ok I put the earth clamp on that plastic vice handle there" ahhh ok problem solved !!!

To tell the truth ...i had a little help from a dopey welder who drop his weld gun while on permanent feed onto a speed control box for a dc motor on his turn table hence it used the alternative earth path which was a tad under-rated.
when i worked in fabs they had these mig torches with the latch on the gun....and i bloody hated em n all....
i often accidentally left it on....then would go away...and come back to find a load of overheated mig wire all over the floor....lol...
done it a few times that....

Reply to What happens when you send maintained 250amps through 1mm flex. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock