Discuss What has been done with the sockets behind my oven? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JB2708

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have revently ordered a new Range and before i contacted an electritian to book installation i thought i would pull my current oven out and check if there was a seperate 32A socket so the job of hardwiring the new cooker in would be relitivaly straight forward, however, When i pulled my oven out i found that a thin cable with a standard UK plug on the end of it was connected to the oven and then into a standard socket, i then noticed that from the top of that standard socket there is a large grey cable that runs to what i can only assume is a seperate socket for the oven but i am not sure.

We do have a seperate cut off switch for the oven so i was oretty sure our current range was hardwired into a 32A socket but i am not so sure now.

Any ideas what this is? Is this something thats normal practise? I have attched pictures of the wireing situation behind the current cooker.

Any advice will be appriciated. What has been done with the sockets behind my oven? 20190328_000630 - EletriciansForums.net What has been done with the sockets behind my oven? 20190328_000635 - EletriciansForums.net What has been done with the sockets behind my oven? 20190328_000630 - EletriciansForums.net What has been done with the sockets behind my oven? 20190328_000635 - EletriciansForums.net

you have a standard 32A? circuit in 6.0mm for cooking appliances. someone has added the double socket as the oven and hob do not pull a load greater than can be supplied with a 13A plug/s. easily modified back if new appliances need to be hard wired.

I would be tempted to get the appropriate craftsman,to re-attach that gas point.
If an oven needs to be closer to the wall,the old 90 degree-and-no-fixings method,is not the way to achieve it....

Also,is the cooker outlet,feeding the socket,or vice-versa?

I suppose that your existing cooker is gas, and the new one is all electric?
The socket has been put there to provide the power for the ignition spark for the gas cooker. Whoever added the double socket has wired it into the cooker connection point (the square box in the corner in the first photo). The short length of cable is the feed from the CC point to the socket. If your new range cooker requires a 32A connection, then the installer can connect up to the cooker connection popint that is already there, having first removed the double socket.
BUT
you must check if the fuse/MCB protecting that circuit in your house consumer unit is actually 32amp.

Reply to What has been done with the sockets behind my oven? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock