Discuss What instrument do you suggest for 5-10Kv at 2ma? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

I was thinking a cheapo electric fence tester but need two probes for avian discouragement track. I have to test volts after installing. Oh and it's DC by the way.

Used to be able to get meter shunt units to connect to the input of a standard multimeter to enable kV readings. Bet you can still get similar things.

What's avian discouragement track?

meter shunt units
Shunts for high current, multipliers for high voltage.

I use the Fluke 8k40 DMM HV probe, the Testec HVP40 is cheaper. But are you saying you need to measure between two points both of which are at HV wrt. gnd? That's harder. I'd probably use two ordinary ground-referenced HV probes and take a differential measurement between them on the LV side.

we used to call them bobbins. dependent on the internal impedance of the meter, the bobbins had values where you knew what the VD across them was.

Doesn't look like they've changed much over the years those high voltage probe adaptors. Not much you can do to modernise something like that really from a design point of view I suppose! Functional and safe.

Take care to get correct bobbin/multiplier +meter combi.
Meter input impedances are rising !
(or peculiar scale factors are round the corner )
(Higher ! ,unlike DMM I gave my son ,measures 1M and 450k on AC--(all ohms))

Last edited:
What's avian discouragement track?
Bird scarer

what's wrong with a wet finger?
So long as it's yours...nothing whatsoever and I do mean on the voltage just in case you were wondering.
So this is an adhesive track sort of like a railway track and I am measuring between the two tracks to ensure 5Kv is present. When the birdy lands, well you can guess. It is the same principle as the electric fence a pulsed (1.3 sec) burst of 5Kv at 2 ma.

Reply to What instrument do you suggest for 5-10Kv at 2ma? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock