Discuss What is in the assessment for 2330 college course? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

OllieNotts

I've got an interview and assessment on Friday with my local college for 2330 level 2. I'm bricking it cause I really need to get on this course. Currently a very miserable HGV driver working away missing my kid etc and although I'm over 3 years away at least from finishing level 3 'if' I get on the course, it will be a light at the end of the tunnel! Any advice on what to say/what not to say at the interview? And any heads up on the content of the assessment so I can maybe revise?Many thanks.

The tests they give you are very generic - what's the next in the sequence, X is to x as Y is to... Mostly multiple choice and mostly common sense. You won't be able to answer all of them in the allotted time.

As regards the interview, don't come across as a know-it-all, listen to what they say, answer truthfully (they might throw in something to catch you out).
You don't have to dress 'smartly', but don't dress like a chav either. Jeans and T shirt or shirt should be fine.

The 2330 course site here Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology | Engineering and Transport | Electrical and Electronic | City & Guilds is pretty good.

Check out the link to Assessment materials - there's loads of example questions from the course itself (rather than assessment to get on course) but should give you a good idea. I haven't looked around all of this area, but should be worth spending 30 minutes here - see what you can find. Also, if you Google C&G 2330 you'll find lots of stuff on the interweb.

Just as Mr Novus says its not a difficult test, it just proves to them that you can read and add a few numbers ip together. On the interview they may ask what experience you have in the industry, so anything to do with electrical work or the building trade that you may have done tell them.

I never had a formal assessment, just a chat with the lead course tutor. He asked me a few questions about cable types and as to my previous work experience. I then had a chat with the other tutor he showed the course work and again ask some basic questions, power triangles, ohms law, parallel resistors, motors. Job done.

Thanks.I was thinking shirt and tie but I don't own one :D could wear jeans shoes and a shirt though smart casual? I did a google search and couldn't find anything for the assessment, will have a look at that link now thanks.Never done anything to do with electricians, building sites etc. Hope it doesn't go against me. I went in the army straight from school and left through injury, went to work in pubs and worked up to shift manager at 20 and then went driving at 22 and been driving lorrys for 6 years. Im very keen, wanted to do it years ago but my dad said I'd be better driving lorrys like him wish I'd never bothered! I just hope its not too much of an issue I'm ready to put my all into this and do it the right way I do work hard, like to learn on the job etc and am good at picking things up. Fingers crossed.....sorry for the life story.

never had an interview when I started in september just a chat with one of the lecturers ( must have been lucky ! ) .
previous experience was never mentioned but we have lorry drivers,students, public sector workers & all kinds in our class.
if I can help you any more let me know.

Bricking it now, I can't answer anything on cables ohms triangles lol ah well what will be will be.My biggest hurdle is my employer letting me finish early enough to do it. I do 69-70 hours a week mon to fri and sometimes stay out all week. If they won't give me the time to do it I'll be in a catch 22 with a family to support. I'm already looking for a new job but driving isn't 9-5 so it's not gonna be easy :(

Well I got on the course! Despite not having the required grades the interviewer liked my attitude and said I'm perfect for it :D Can't wait to get started now, gonna be tight with money as I'll have to quit my current job and find something else which means less money but I know it'll be worth it in the end.

Well done Ollie, that's the first step on a long road to becoming a tradesman. Now the fun really begins, when you get stuck or don't fully understand anything post it up and er will help you out, but we are not doing your homework for you ;).

Lol thanks for the support, I'm torn between the 2.5 days a week over one year and the 2 evenings a week over 2 years now though, quicker the better and shorter time being skint I reckon. Could drive on agency over the weekends to keep me money up and have half to one and a half days rest for term time and work normally when ive got time off. Gonna sit down and work out the figures over the weekend and think a celebratory beer is in order tonight! I do appreciate this site it'd great, really helped me to make that final push I needed to getting away from my life trapped living in my lorry all week! I hope this thread will add to others that have helped people make the start of their journey possible :)

Ollie I did a driving job (night shift taxi driver) whilst at college for 2 days a week, worked weekends and out of term time and also looked after my disabled dad. It's not easy believe me but some how I did it and so can anyone. Go for the 2.5 days a week, revise when you can and say good bye to a social life for a year/9 months.

Thanks, I've spoke with the mrs and we've agreed I'm gonna do 2.5 days as it will be easier being one year then two. I know I'll lose social life but with three kids I don't get out as much as I used to anyway :D it's well worth the sacrafise in my opinion and we've had no money for last 18 months till recently anyway. Just laid out 3k for 2 hols this summer will make the most em them and crack on with making more for our future. We get nothing in life without taking risks!

I wish you the best of luck for you and the family mate.
Keep us posted on your progress through the year and let us know if we can help with it...

Reply to What is in the assessment for 2330 college course? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock