Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss What is my Earthing Arrangement? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

I'm currently installing a new consumer unit and I cannot clearly identify my earthing arrangement.

(image attached)

I am leaning towards TN-S but could potentially be TN-C-S as it is a unit installed in the 70's and doesn't match the drawings in the OSG. Any expert advice would greatly appreciated.

Attachments

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
If the earth is combined with head then a tncs or the earth combined in swa then a tns if no earth present then TT .can you see a swa cable .if not then a tncs .

Des 56

-
Arms
Esteemed
The earthing type or lack of information can only be provided by the supplier

You need to assume that you have to provide your own means of earthing unless or until the supplier says otherwise,best go on the phone and start asking

It is a concern you are replacing a consumer unit and using pictures from the OSG to try and determine the earthing system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is that black lead apparently coming from the lower left of the head an earthing conductor?
Yes it is, it feeds directly into a MET then to the current consumer unit.
Post automatically merged:

Don’t think it’s a tns

Have you done a Ze at the old fusebox by any chance ?
Not yet, will be the first thing I do before replacing the CU to make sure it's within 0.35 ohms. Just trying to determine the arrangement before doing the paperwork so I can challenge the supplier if their is a problem. Its a very old system an falling to bits

Last edited:

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
my bet is that it's sweated onto the incoming cable sheath, under that plastic below the fuse.. therefore TN-S.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Test pefc and pssc and compare results ?

Your profile lists you as a diyer which is very concerning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Test pefc and pssc and compare results ?

Your profile lists you as a diyer which is very concerning.
I'm Part P qualified and have a lot of experience with basic electrical work. so have the necessary knowledge to make these upgrades. DIYer was the best fit option. Just got caught off guard by this old cut out. Appreciate the concern buddy

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I'm Part P qualified and have a lot of experience with basic electrical work. so have the necessary knowledge to make these upgrades. DIYer was the best fit option. Just got caught off guard by this old cut out. Appreciate the concern buddy
maybe you should edit your profile. if you've done a short course and joined a scheme, then Domestic Installer would be appropriate. If you don't have that option, I'm sure Dan could make it happen.

Reply to What is my Earthing Arrangement? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom