Discuss What is my Earthing Arrangement? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 123470

Hi,

I'm currently installing a new consumer unit and I cannot clearly identify my earthing arrangement.

(image attached)

I am leaning towards TN-S but could potentially be TN-C-S as it is a unit installed in the 70's and doesn't match the drawings in the OSG. Any expert advice would greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• What is my Earthing Arrangement? DSC_0503.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    DSC_0503.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 118
If the earth is combined with head then a tncs or the earth combined in swa then a tns if no earth present then TT .can you see a swa cable .if not then a tncs .

The earthing type or lack of information can only be provided by the supplier

You need to assume that you have to provide your own means of earthing unless or until the supplier says otherwise,best go on the phone and start asking

It is a concern you are replacing a consumer unit and using pictures from the OSG to try and determine the earthing system.

Got any better pictures?....@stavros79

Don’t think it’s a tns

Have you done a Ze at the old fusebox by any chance ?

Is that black lead apparently coming from the lower left of the head an earthing conductor?
Yes it is, it feeds directly into a MET then to the current consumer unit.
[automerge]1572685823[/automerge]
Don’t think it’s a tns

Have you done a Ze at the old fusebox by any chance ?
Not yet, will be the first thing I do before replacing the CU to make sure it's within 0.35 ohms. Just trying to determine the arrangement before doing the paperwork so I can challenge the supplier if their is a problem. Its a very old system an falling to bits

Last edited by a moderator:
my bet is that it's sweated onto the incoming cable sheath, under that plastic below the fuse.. therefore TN-S.

my bet is that it's sweated onto the incoming cable sheath, under that plastic below the fuse.. therefore TN-S.
That's what I was thinking, cheers. I think I'm going to ring the supplier just to be certain.

Tganks

Test pefc and pssc and compare results ?

Your profile lists you as a diyer which is very concerning.

Test pefc and pssc and compare results ?

Your profile lists you as a diyer which is very concerning.
I'm Part P qualified and have a lot of experience with basic electrical work. so have the necessary knowledge to make these upgrades. DIYer was the best fit option. Just got caught off guard by this old cut out. Appreciate the concern buddy

I'm Part P qualified and have a lot of experience with basic electrical work. so have the necessary knowledge to make these upgrades. DIYer was the best fit option. Just got caught off guard by this old cut out. Appreciate the concern buddy
maybe you should edit your profile. if you've done a short course and joined a scheme, then Domestic Installer would be appropriate. If you don't have that option, I'm sure Dan could make it happen.

Part p is not a qualification mate....

Reply to What is my Earthing Arrangement? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock