Discuss What is needed to produce relevant inspection and testing certificates? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Pat Butcher

HelloI was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction! Basically I wanted to know What is needed to be able to test, inspect and certificate my own work as an electrician?So I can basically sign off my own work, producer periodic inspection certificates, schedule of inspection and all the other relevant documents if going at it alone as a self employed electricianThank you

Putting it bluntly,you will need a pen and a unused certificate

There is argument to say that "competence" would stand up well in a court if there were problems,but competence is for the individual to decide on

I have a sneaky feeling that a follow up reply to our posts are on another thread
We could get double vision if this goes on
icon4.png
icon13.png

Last edited:
Sorry to say, if you're not Self Certified, the council will charge you the maximum they can, regardless of how qualified etc you are. I've tried it. Ring them up and find out for yourself. It's a joke. :-(

To sign off own work, Join a scheme, (Elecsa, Napit or NICEIC a ,mere £370ish +Vat), 2 Million Public Liability Ins.... obviously Qualifications and experience/competence..., Certificates and Pen as pointed out by des will get you in the right area...

Or as Archy said can pay £300 for council.. lol

So the part p is the only requirement and that's just to inform the local council!But formally to do any type of inspection or inspection they is no requirement outside the above apart from being competent

2391 and part P doesnt give u x ray vision to be able to see how cables have been installed (ie safe zones etc...)...

2391 again just helps show competence in inspection and testing../ 3phase

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I understand what you mean and it's a good point!But I thought in practice this is what is done with electricians signing off others work legally and by the book!

It is done in practice.
The Niceic qualifying supervisor system was for some unbelievable reason used in the domestic sector
(That is when an employee does work and its countersigned by the QS)

Elsaewhere it is probably done under the radar,but signing off someone else's install is not permitted for the reasons given by ukpita

There is what some electricans do and then there is legally and by the book... :frown:

There is a long electrical Installation form with designer, installer + inspection/tester sections which is used, but most electricans wont take ownership of other peoples work as its not worth the risk as there are far too many things that cannot be seen or known...

Best option is to be self certified as already stated.

Not legally yet but under new proposals maybe allowed to get third person to carry out a Periodic inspection and test but i here people do that now lol and some that sign for design and construction and a second person to sign the I&T

and my argument was if your qualified to I&T and cert and have to according to the regs then why should you have to get a council who will appoint a qualified and assessed competent enterprise third party to I&T your work

Not legally yet but under new proposals maybe allowed to get third person to carry out a Periodic inspection and test but i here people do that now lol and some that sign for design and construction and a second person to sign the I&T

and my argument was if your qualified to I&T and cert and have to according to the regs then why should you have to get a council who will appoint a qualified and assessed competent enterprise third party to I&T your work

In Part P it gives the impression that non certified but competent guys should be able to do notifiable work without having to pay the full wack. But the way Part P is written, the council just treat anyone who isn't Self certified as a DIYer and charge you the max they can. The proposed changes, when I read them, claim to make it easier for the likes of me (as above), but, I suspect, it'll be cleverly written that it'll make bog all difference.
It's an easy making money scheme for the council and the....'schemes'
And they wonder why people ignore 'The Law' sometimes.

Follow up to previous post.
I very rarely do domestic work, got asked to do a CU change a month or so back, that's why I checked with the council about all this, £319, I turned it down.
Me mate told me tonight that the job in question has been done, no certs or anything, he's slagging me off for bringing the notification subject up. I think he's right, the customer couldn't care less.

Baffled of Manchester.

Archie
I have stated many times on here, that a few of my sparky mates have had nothing to do with part p since its inception
they have neither been concerned or affected in any way by its presence

If you do an install as per the regs,no judge in this land would consider wasting his time sitting hearing about an installation that is safe, and the only accusation was non notification

It has never happened and likely never will
Do the work and ignore the nonsense part p and there will be no cost and no repurcussions
icon14.png

Des, cheers, that's the conclusion I'm rapidly coming to.
I was quite to pay say £50 to keep everything above board. I just think balderdash to them now, I know I can decent job.
By charging too much they're cutting they own throats, as it were(?!?!??)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes mate customers just want it to work for cheapest price taking nothing into consideration except the cost and getting the max for as little as possible

they dont want to know about schemes , registration costs, experience, notification , labc basically anything except cheapest for the max amount

and when you try to explain part P and the building regs , Bs7671 eawr etc etc

its to much information like the first time i read it all lol all they want to know is how cheap

Paying LABC for each job is a scam but so is paying a scheme for yearly fees and notifications etc
especially for the industruial commercial sparks who just want to do some alterations here and there for thereselves or friends etc have more than enough experience and competence but unless paying a large fee cant legally do this is a joke

they should be reducing the fees, red tape and make it so all electrical work has to be completed by someone who is a qualified experienced for the work they undertake but not charge them the earth on top of all the other fees for courses, Books, Testers etc etc

Reply to What is needed to produce relevant inspection and testing certificates? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net