Discuss What is the actual problem need help/advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jackson83

DIY
Reaction score
Hoping someone maybe able to help. We have a Horstmann electronic 7 that's connected to the water heater element(everything been great for years) until last year,we had no hot water,rang a plumber got a new water heater element got it fitted,been good until January this year,then it stopped heating water again,got another element all good then electric started tripping out,rang the electrician he says no electric fault it has to be your element you need a plumber,so we buy another element get it fitted it worked that night the next day no hot water again,we then buy another element the plumber tested it before coming to ours (and it was working) he connects up at our house switches everything on nothing happens(nothing registered with smart meter) we have a plumber saying it's not a plumber issue and a electrician saying it's not electrical,what else can it actually be? I was wondering if maybe there is a fault in the Horstmann 7 box,any advice would be extremely appreciated

I'm sorry that you've had such difficulty, and that the tradesmen haven't been more helpful in resolving this problem. A competent electrician should be able to understand exactly what is wrong, not just say it's a plumbing issue.
You speak as if there is only one immersion, but often there are two, one near the bottom of the cylinder, and one half way up. Do you have a second immersion, and if so is it connected to the Horstmann 'boost' function?
If not, did the boost button used to switch on your lower immersion?

There could be a problem with the Horstmann programmer.
That programmer has a backup battery in it (to remember settings if the power goes off) but over time that battery can fail. That can result in the settings being wrong. Horstmann instructions say the battery is not replaceable (but it can be replaced as others on this forum can testify!) I'm not saying that is the fault, but it might be contributing to the confusion.

I imagine you have the instructions for the Horstmann, and are familiar with setting it?
Does it currently appear to be working, e.g:
Does the screen show the normal display, time of day etc (is it correct)?
Is the rocker switch on "timed" and is there a little indicator top left on the screen against "run"
Are you sure the program settings are as you used to have them?

If this problem persists, and you are unable to get to the bottom of it, you might be better off finding an alternative electrician who is skilled at fault-finding and will tell you exactly what the problem is.

I'm sorry that you've had such difficulty, and that the tradesmen haven't been more helpful in resolving this problem. A competent electrician should be able to understand exactly what is wrong, not just say it's a plumbing issue.
You speak as if there is only one immersion, but often there are two, one near the bottom of the cylinder, and one half way up. Do you have a second immersion, and if so is it connected to the Horstmann 'boost' function?
If not, did the boost button used to switch on your lower immersion?

There could be a problem with the Horstmann programmer.
That programmer has a backup battery in it (to remember settings if the power goes off) but over time that battery can fail. That can result in the settings being wrong. Horstmann instructions say the battery is not replaceable (but it can be replaced as others on this forum can testify!) I'm not saying that is the fault, but it might be contributing to the confusion.

I imagine you have the instructions for the Horstmann, and are familiar with setting it?
Does it currently appear to be working, e.g:
Does the screen show the normal display, time of day etc (is it correct)?
Is the rocker switch on "timed" and is there a little indicator top left on the screen against "run"
Are you sure the program settings are as you used to have them?

If this problem persists, and you are unable to get to the bottom of it, you might be better off finding an alternative electrician who is skilled at fault-finding and will tell you exactly what the problem is.
Thankyou for your reply. We only have the one immersion heater it's located at the top of the water tank. I managed to get hold of a electrician late yesterday he came and was fantastic,he's changed the main switch as when he turned it on it got quite warm after only being on for 5 mins. We actually had hot water last night,im out of the house today so didn't want to leave it on just for incase as I can be a bit of a paranoid mary at times,but when I get home from work it will be turned back and fingers crossed

We only have the one immersion heater it's located at the top of the water tank.
If you mean it's screwed into the dome at the top of the cylinder, then it could possibly still be two immersion heaters. There are dual immersion heaters available, which have a short element and a long element, built into the same unit, but electrically completely separate.

Reply to What is the actual problem need help/advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net