Discuss What is the best was to splice electrical wire to power two components? (Arcade power supply and LCD in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi!
I m doing my first build of an arcade machine. At the back of the arcade cabinet will be an IEC socket for mains power. Inside the machine I then need to split the electrical wires so that the one socket can power both the power supply for the console board (standard jamma power supply) and the LCD monitor. The monitor and power supply both take 240v AC mains power. I was told I could just strip back the kettle lead for the monitor and crimp connect the wires to the power cable for the power supply and wire them both into the back of the IEC socket together. Is this safe if both appliances are rated for the same voltage? To be honest I d rather use a junction box or something but not really sure what type of need or how to wire it exactly. I have slight electrical experience but still basically a noob.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers!

Lever wagos and a wago box.

A picture would help

Whats their current usage? is it worthwhilst considering some form over overcurrent protection per device whilst splitting the loads?

I'd pickup a power distribution strip. If something goes wrong with an internal part it's a simple case of unplug it and plug it back in.

There is also some debate about whether cutting plugs off invalidates guarantee... manufacturers often state it will, whether this stands up in court has probably not been tested, but personally I would go the route which means this can't be an issue.

Here is a picture of an arcade power supply. The bottom 3 connectors are AC and ground, the upper connections are 12v+ 5v+ ground etc. Here is also as picture of the back of the IEC socket I'm planning to use.
What is the best was to splice electrical wire to power two components? (Arcade power supply and LCD {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

What is the best was to splice electrical wire to power two components? (Arcade power supply and LCD {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The IEC socket had a built in EMI filter and is fused at 6a. I've been told ideally arcade machine should be fused at 5a? The monitor draws 1.5a and the game board that the power supply will be running draws 5a (I think)

Then in that case, I would be inclined to use DIN rail mounted terminals (these MUST be enclosed - providing they are not accessible with the case fully closed and the case requires tools to open, that is good enough for enclosing them).

As @Madocks suggested, if you're not having plugs in there, I think it would be prudent to provide some suitable over current protection for each connected item. DIN rail terminals come in many flavours and can include the capability of having a fuse in them. They are also fairly friendly when it comes to stranded cable. But to do the job well, I would use bootlace ferrules on the cables that are connected to the terminals.

For connecting to the various items, you should be able to use standard blade receptacle crimp connectors for the socket inlet and ring (or fork) connectors for the power supply end. But make sure you have a good crimper... a ratchet type.

For connecting the earth, you should use the earthing flavour of DIN rail terminals as they will earth the DIN rail itself. Make sure you get yourself some P-clips (or an alternative) to provide some strain relief for the cables. Or as an alternative, use something like this to contain the cables in the cabinet:-

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-trunkings/3011924/

With regards to the fusing, it depends entirely on what is being connected and the ratings of the components involved. So if your monitor requires 1.5A and the PSU for the board requires 5A, then a 6A rated fuse/socket inlet is a little undersized and you'd be advised to get one rated at 13A and use say a 7A fuse in the inlet fuse holder.

Sorry about the dupes... staff are aware and should be along sometime soon to clean them up.

That looks pretty cool. So I could just cut the wire half way after the IEC socket, reconnect with these crimps and run the monitor off the "piggy back”connections?

I was thinking of maybe using them to connect to the IEC socket and then wire your two items from them.

Thanks sparkychic! That's some really good info. Those din rail mounted terminals look quite complicated though. Would it be safe to use the piggy back connectors at the IEC socket as Spoon suggested and then wire up the two components via appropriate inline fuses? All these electronics will be sealed within the arcade unit itself. I'd like to save space as much as possible too as this is just a small bartop arcade with fairly limited space.
Thanks all for your help replies!

Thanks sparkychic! That's some really good info. Those din rail mounted terminals look quite complicated though. Would it be safe to use the piggy back connectors at the IEC socket as Spoon suggested and then wire up the two components via appropriate inline fuses? All these electronics will be sealed within the arcade unit itself. I'd like to save space as much as possible too as this is just a small bartop arcade with fairly limited space.
Thanks all for your help replies!

Providing the in-line fuse holders are rated for mains voltage and the expected current, then yes, absolutely.

If it's a small cabinet, then yes, the DIN rail terminals may eat space. The key things are choosing components with suitable ratings. 250VAC and 6A+ would be fine.

Just make sure the crimps are good and firm and if you want to be really sure, crimp them and then flow some solder into the crimped cavity (that's what I normally do when I'm not out on a site).

I take it the plan is to run MAME on the cabinet?

Edit: The DIN rail connectors are not that complicated. Just think of them as customisable terminal strips where you can pick and choose the most appropriate connector. They come in all sorts of sizes and just clip onto the metal DIN rail. Couple of end clamps and an end plate and hey presto you have a terminal strip specifically built for your application.

Reactions: PEG
So am I . :)
Opera won't work at all. Page comes up for a few seconds then crashes.
What version of Firefox? I'm on 56 (resisting the nag screens telling me to upgrade to the latest version as I've got some add-ons I use for web development that I'm not sure are compatible with the latest version).

Providing the in-line fuse holders are rated for mains voltage and the expected current, then yes, absolutely.

If it's a small cabinet, then yes, the DIN rail terminals may eat space. The key things are choosing components with suitable ratings. 250VAC and 6A+ would be fine.

Just make sure the crimps are good and firm and if you want to be really sure, crimp them and then flow some solder into the crimped cavity (that's what I normally do when I'm not out on a site).

Cool thanks, I think I'll go with that then.
The arcade set up is going to be jamma, I will be using a Pandora's box multi game jamma board. The plan is to set it up so I can switch the Pandora's box for original arcade jamma pcbs as and when I acquire them.
Should I just be fusing the live wires, or the neutrals as well?

Fuses should be in the line conductors only.

Hi,

Is this equipment for home or public use? If for public use have you looked into your product liablity and appropriate testing?
If you are not familar with din rail terminals, an example can be seen here http://uk.farnell.com/weidmuller/103140-wdu1-5zz/terminal-block-din-rail-4pos-14awg/dp/1131788

They are intended to go on to a rail like http://uk.farnell.com/wieland-electric/ws-005-3542/din-rail-7-5mm-deep/dp/103727

and you will need some end blocks http://uk.farnell.com/weidmuller/ew35/end-bracket-symmetric/dp/238466

end plates such as http://uk.farnell.com/weidmuller/wap2-5-10/end-cover/dp/575112

and earth connections such as http://uk.farnell.com/weidmuller/101000-wpe2-5/terminal-block-din-rail-2pos-12awg/dp/1131792

Edit: The DIN rail connectors are not that complicated. Just think of them as customisable terminal strips where you can pick and choose the most appropriate connector. They come in all sorts of sizes and just clip onto the metal DIN rail. Couple of end clamps and an end plate and hey presto you have a terminal strip specifically built for your application.

Some great advice,here,but the solder is not necessary,if the crimping is suitable. Indeed,depending on the conductor type,and machine operating conditions,it could be detrimental.

I've got the loud,vibrating type of arcade machine,in mind :)

Reply to What is the best was to splice electrical wire to power two components? (Arcade power supply and LCD in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock