Discuss What is the best way to charge solar powered garden lanterns quickly? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shirleyion

I have a set of solar powered garden lanterns I need to use for a play. The man at the store said to leave them in full sun (I'm in England, so that's never going to happen!) for three days before turning them on. However, I need them before that for rehearsals. Is there a way to quickly and artificially charge solar cells? What sort of artificial light works/works best in charging solar cells?

there is probs rechargeable AA batteries in them - take them out and fully charge them in a battery charger.

edit; they do charge on cloudy days, just make sure the panel on it is at right angles to the direction of the sun (even if it is cloudy). Not sure which wavelength of light they are most reliant on for charging - most light bulbs do not give the same spectrum as sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, for the purposes of the play, put a couple of AA alkalines in. Just take them out afterwards!
Also, whichever batteries you use, you may also need to cover the solar panels with some gaffer tape or similar, otherwise the stage spotlights may cause the solar lights to go out (they'll think it's daytime!)

Simon.

Reply to What is the best way to charge solar powered garden lanterns quickly? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Just after some general advice. Been asked to look at a job where a builder/landscaper has already laid cable for some garden lighting.1.5mm 3...
Replies
Views
If one of your coworkers suffers a severe electric shock, your first instinct will most likely be to rush to their rescue. But first, pause and...
Replies
Views
Sorry if it's in the wrong spot, feel free to move. The specific setup: 12v Bilge Pump wired to a 24v solar panel with a resistor (I think). The...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys n Gals, I'm a little stumped on a job and was wondering if anyone could advise? I've got 3 drivers going to 3 sections of garden lights...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I've just been perusing the AM2/E/S threads on here. Thought you might like a bit of a review. If, like I did, you find yourself...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock