Discuss What is the best way to go on Home Security? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been reading all I can as we approach our build. I know what I want...programmable, accessible anywhere on smartphone, cameras as well as motion, fire, smoke...all that. But my worries are a few. One, I'm on Centurylink for internet and the system regularly goes down and to reset the modem you have to unplug it and replug...impossible if on vacation in Italy...How do we approach that issue? Second is the security of home security. How hacker-proof are the new wifi designs and how do we make sure it's not accessible to someone with a smartphone?

Sorry Natasha, I’m not an expert in this fiel,

However I have attended a seminar/ sales pitch on security systems and we where all reassured by the salesman that the newer system where hack proof.

during the break we where talking to the engineers And they where having a good chuckle about a incident where they have successfully hacked the display system And list3ned into the bosses office.

moral of the story. No system is hack proof. The designers can always get in even if they don’t admit it.

that’s not to say there are no good systems out there.

Sorry Natasha, I’m not an expert in this fiel,

However I have attended a seminar/ sales pitch on security systems and we where all reassured by the salesman that the newer system where hack proof.

during the break we where talking to the engineers And they where having a good chuckle about a incident where they have successfully hacked the display system And list3ned into the bosses office.

moral of the story. No system is hack proof. The designers can always get in even if they don’t admit it.

that’s not to say there are no good systems out there.
It's ok.

@Natosha Jacobs its unfortunate that many routers have the same issue, some have a setting which you can login to the router and set a time to reboot each night Failing that if you are installing home automation you could schedule your socket to cycle power on and off. Or you could use a simple plugin digital timeclock, set it to turn off and on, the power to the router each night.

Most automation systems will be able to intergrate general motion sensors and camera systems into the alarm system sounds like this is the route you are going take.
IMO its a good idea to make sure that a small UPS is used to keep the automation system, router and camera DVR energised in the event of a power cut.
In the UK this type of system generally wouldn't be classed as a graded system though. Im not sure of rules in the US.

@Natosha Jacobs its unfortunate that many routers have the same issue, some have a setting which you can login to the router and set a time to reboot each night Failing that if you are installing home automation you could schedule your socket to cycle power on and off. Or you could use a simple plugin digital timeclock, set it to turn off and on, the power to the router each night.
Thank you

Hi Natosha, the idea that you can have any system that is hack proof and fail proof you must dispense with. My Son works around the area of smart homes/security and opines that the systems at this stage of development are very open to hacking. As usual we are fobbed off with so say marvellous tech, which is poorly designed and prone to failure. I think one has to strategise on this with a view to allowing the fact that at some point breaches in security will occur in any system/home. With this in mind one needs to think of having risks suitably insured so you don't have to worry about loss.
There is no doubt that an alarm system that is apparent to the casual criminal is a major deterrent. Therefore one must think of letting such people see the property is alarmed and armed. I have seen a number of incidents where people are caught on camera and the police will not proceed with prosecution as even though you can see the peoples faces, they are not sufficiently clear to positively identify them evidentially. Night time infra red cameras are next to useless in gaining identity due to white out. There are cameras that have LED lights at night that do full colour recording which assist much better with clarity in identification. I suggest you consider what risks/outcomes you are trying to mitigate and think about what security measures you deem suitable to meet those items.
I would say bottom line is that 1. No such thing as non hackable. 2. Security systems really only function as a deterrent. 3. Technology is not 100% reliable. If someone wants to break in for whatever purpose they will find a way no matter what measures are in place.

^ As above, alarms and CCTV are generally for 'when it's too late'. Spend more money on physical security first, strong windows and doors, robust fencing/locked gates etc. and quality locks. Keep valuable items out of view, if you have a garage keep your car locked in there, not your junk. When choosing/installing security, don't underestimate the level of force that may be used to break in, especially if your property is remote and has no neighbours.

Then spend money on a good alarm system that is linked to a remote monitoring station, and have the alarm serviced annually. Set it every time you leave the house, if you have part/night set options set those at night too and have any remote garages/buildings linked to the alarm.

Spend any money left over on CCTV. Remote viewing is useful for you to keep an eye on your house when away, and some remote monitoring centres can also look in on your CCTV when they receive an alarm notification to check what is going on.

Reply to What is the best way to go on Home Security? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock