Discuss What is the definition of a "Junction Box"? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A client of ours is developing an add-on "adapter" for exit signs where wires from the adapter have to be connected to the battery wires within the exit sign as well as splicing the hot/neutral. The question was asked if by making these additional connections in the exit sign enclosure turns it into a junction box and then possibly violating code. No one seemed to know the answer. I am hoping to determine a definitive yes or no. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Sam

When you talk about "violating code" - where are you talking about as that's the sort of language I associate with the US.
From what you describe, I'd have classified it as modifying the exit sign rather than turning it into a junction box. As such, it would come down to what regulations might apply to the exit sign, rather than what might apply to a junction box.

When you talk about "violating code" - where are you talking about as that's the sort of language I associate with the US.
From what you describe, I'd have classified it as modifying the exit sign rather than turning it into a junction box. As such, it would come down to what regulations might apply to the exit sign, rather than what might apply to a junction box.
OP is in Minnesota. last time i heard, it was somewhere in the US.

Depends on US regulations. In the UK any mains powered product made (or modified) would have to comply with the low voltage directive and be 'CE' marked. The directive ensures products are safe for use and don't emit RFI or be susceptible to RFI among other things.

Maybe one of our US members can tell you what the requirements are over your way.

I’d guess. The enclosure is designed for electrical connections. So I should be fine. After all a junction box is also an enclosure for electrical connections.

Please note I did say guess, as I am a UK spark and USA electrics are alien to me.

Our resident American member @Megawatt should pop along shortly to correct or confirm my thinking.

A client of ours is developing an add-on "adapter" for exit signs where wires from the adapter have to be connected to the battery wires within the exit sign as well as splicing the hot/neutral. The question was asked if by making these additional connections in the exit sign enclosure turns it into a junction box and then possibly violating code. No one seemed to know the answer. I am hoping to determine a definitive yes or no. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Sam
Sam no you are not violating the NEC. The exist sign is the junction box. Think about it the sign is originally wired inside the light and you see no exposed wiring splices

Reply to What is the definition of a "Junction Box"? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net