Discuss What is the difference between Electric Charge and Electric Current in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PLW

I understand that electric current is the flow of charge or electrons. would I be right in saying that electric charge is the ability of matter to experience force, such as attract and repulsion.

Wikipedia has an introduction to electric charge, but from a particle physics perspective (which measured in coulomb C). Or given this is an electrical forum, are you more interested in electrical charge as relating to batteries (measured in Ah)?

Hi - many definitions, but this is one I like :
"charge is a characteristic of matter that expresses the extent to which it has more or fewer electrons than protons. In atoms, the electron carries a negative charge; the proton carries a positive charge. The two types of charge are equal and opposite"

The answer depends on what level of reply you want, if you want a response that is the general accepted model then yes current is electrons wizzing around the circuit at near light speed but if you want the correct answer then this is not the case, in DC electron migration is literally a snail pace and in AC they don't flow at all but more so they vibrate about their position in the conductor.

Reply to What is the difference between Electric Charge and Electric Current in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Good morning all, I am currently working on a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) consisting of 10 flats, with three parking spots equipped with...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. It would be really useful to run this past you and get a consensus/input from you for what would be a realistic amount to charge for an...
Replies
Views
If one of your coworkers suffers a severe electric shock, your first instinct will most likely be to rush to their rescue. But first, pause and...
Replies
Views
I am currently employed by the RAF as an Electrical Engineer/Technician, but I'm interested in going down the route of a domestic electrician...
Replies
Views
Hey. I have seen those experiments with rubbing a baloon and creating static electricity to make a fluorescent light bulb glow. Im interested in...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock