Discuss What is the maths like being an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

some of the theory can be a little hard going, but in terms of everyday life as a jobbing sparks - if you can work a dartboard then you should be OK. It's basic multiplication, division, addition and subtraction.

The trick is to try and forget about the numbers and concentrate on remembering why things happen. Because when you know why and how things happen then it's easier to fill in the blanks (with some numbers).

Thanks rockingit I went to college induction and a man told me I need a grade c equivalent I only have entry level 3 because I didn't do well in school, I already know how to divide, multiply all that and abit of basic algebra but what are the formulas like?

Hi Lee,the maths is pretty fundamental,so if it is a career that appeals to you,you may have to consider improving your skills. There is calculation to do,which means knowledge of how a calculator functions,but it is perhaps better to concentrate on the WHY,than the how. If you get to grips with the reasons for calcs,then the sums are just that,sure,there is a good bit of nomenclature to decipher,which is just abbreviations really,for longer descriptions. I will be honest,and admit maths has always been a hobby of mine.This began,when my father,who was a press photographer,and used calcs in his developing (ask yer grandad:icon12:) explained,to his young son,how maths and trigonometry,guided the Dambusters to their drops,and how a trees height could be measured using a ruler and a protractor! Which is a long way of saying,find what interests you,and then the learning comes easier. Good luck.

Thanks peg that's some good advice to take in I have been studying abit at home, the college rest isn't till next year is the any main subjects in maths to study on in electrics?

There are plenty of sites you can join that will teach basic maths and set tests for you to do.

Nearly all calculations you will need as a jobbing electrician you can do on your phone.

Before you start college it will help if you have a grasp of the basic calculations required. there’s many books on the subject nowadays.

I’ve got to ask:
If you know your ability at maths isn’t great, why choose being an electrician?

Hello I am not very good at maths and was wondering what kind of maths do electricians use everyday?

The maths is pretty easy. But you need to be able to understand the reasoning behind the few equations there are, get the concept of them in your head, and be able to apply them to real life situations without really thinking about it too much. That way the equations become of practical use to you when working. Monkey see, monkey do learning of equations will not help you fault find. So there's a wee bit more to it than learning equations. If you're the sort of person who can work out the change you'll be getting in a shop in your head you stand a good chance, if you struggle with the likes of that probably a non starter.

Also to remember is what you expect out of your career...if you are just going to work for a company where all the design is done by someone else and you just follow plans then maths really never comes into it, but if your boss expects you to hold your own and do your own calc which can be off the cuff direct to a asking customer then you may struggle.

The responses above have been gentle but reality can be different, we had a lad who 'passed' all his qualifications to become an Electrician but had poor maths skills and it was this that led to his job loss, a company has to maintain a high reputation and when customers are ringing the firm asking for someone else to be sent because the lad 'is stupid' (their words not mine) then he becomes a liablity. So its a lottery of who you work for, what is expected of you and TBH poor maths in this type of Industry can be limiting for your prospects.

What you have here is also a confidence issue in your maths abilities too, my advice is take a year out and do a adult maths course to get you more confident and to the correct level, unlike school these courses are dedicated so you don't have several subjects to juggle per day like school and the idiots that ruin lessons don't exist so you will actually learn without distraction.
Once you pass your confidence will be boosted and this will aid you not only in finding a job but in everyday life like bills, mortgages banking etc.

Yes you might get through college, get a job etc as you are now as others seem to imply but your maths level will hold you back and not only in you job but everyday life, the fact you ask the question means you lack confidence in you maths ability and this will show when taking interviews as you will not come across as a confident person even if never questioned about your school qual's... If you want to advance up the ladder or work self employed then boost your maths education, if you merely want to work for a large company who does all the thinking for you then you probably will be ok but don't expect to climb the career ladder too much.

or consider becoming a plumber. their only equation is..... wet-pants + electricity = disaster.

I would say that having a decent grasp of math ability is a prerequisite to becoming an electrician.
In years gone by, certainly at my time of entering the industry if your math wasn't up to scratch (and you were tested) you didn't get accepted as an indentured apprentice by any decent company, end of!! Even the local higher education colleges set minimum standards for many C&G trade courses, not just the electrical trade.

It's easy for some here to say the everyday math/calculations used on a daily basis by electricians is easy, it may well be for them, but for others it may as well be at Masters Degree level!!

I was crap at maths because I hated it.
Electricity always fascinated me and when at college I was surprised at how quickly I grasped the logic behind the equations, theories, and regulations.
The simple reason was because I was applying the theory to the practical side.
In other words I wanted to know the if's what's and why's.
Don't go in blind and lose yourself.
Always pull back and look at why all those equations are being used, and what there being used for.
In my day we covered the part 1, part 2, and B C&G on day release over a three year combined apprenticeship.
I enjoyed it so much that I covered the C cert on the evenings Tuesday and Thursdays for another year.
That was back in the early 70s and 44 years later I still love it, and I'm still learning.
Once qualified get yourself on the JIB scheme, the card can come in handy at times.
I hold Gold Approved, and Platinum Electrical Site Manager cards, Its something to show for all those days sitting in classrooms doing different courses and exams over the years.
I will say this though, the very best commercial electrical installation electrician I ever worked with was some 15 years ago.
He was a couple of years older than me and he didn't have a single qualification to his name.
He knew how to read a regs book, he knew how to work equations out, and he had my, and others full respect.
You can get those that can spout theory at you from high, and be totally useless when it come down to rolling up there sleeves and cracking on with the job.
Qualifications are useful, but in the real world there not everything.
Its all down to the man on the tools and his experience.
Good luck to you, I love the trade.

Finally !! Sorry for going off subject a bit there. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks peg that's some good advice to take in I have been studying abit at home, the college rest isn't till next year is the any main subjects in maths to study on in electrics?

HI Lee , and welcome to the forum !

Although you will need to have a reasonable understanding of all sectors of your education , from reading and writing through to even how you interact with others . It would be worthwhile if you could get on with a firm now as a trainee / labourer and get a taste for what the job holds .
This way at least you will know it is the the right job for you before you even start any courses , and being already employed in the industry you may find that the enrolment requirements are a little less stringent !?
As for not getting on to well at school , that is a shame but not uncommon !
I did not actually complete any one of my subjects . If I had completed the course work , I failed to turn up to the exam or if I turned up to the exam , I would not have done the course work . Now this was not really well thought out to be honest !!!
But when it came to college , I excelled and gained the highest grade possible in all subjects related to sparking .
So don't give up at the first hurdle , if you want to become a sparks go for it .

Makes me feel a real pride in my membership of this Forum when I see such positive advice given. I retire i next year, and quite honestly i am looking forward to it, but despite a couple of short term career changes along the way, electrocution has always been closest to my heart. Lee, if you have a genuine interest in the trade then go for it.

Makes me feel a real pride in my membership of this Forum when I see such positive advice given. I retire i next year, and quite honestly i am looking forward to it, but despite a couple of short term career changes along the way, electrocution has always been closest to my heart. Lee, if you have a genuine interest in the trade then go for it.
Is this your way of coming out as a serial killer/torturer?
:)

Reply to What is the maths like being an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net