Discuss What is the source of the pulsating/vibration noise in my flat? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dean072

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in a house converted into two flats - I'm in the upstairs flat. For several months now I have been hearing a pulsating/vibration sound throughout my entire flat. It often starts after midnight and continues to late morning or early afternoon and sometimes it is loud enough to stop me from sleeping. However, I don't hear it every night.

It seems to be coming from the roof or up through the walls and sounds electrical.

Any ideas what might be causing the noise?

Solar panels on the roof? Invertor might be in the attic?

If it’s not too much trouble, you could isolate each of your circuits in your consumer unit until the noise stops.... narrow down the suspect equipment

Someone knows their Little Mix song titles... (3 daughters, I’ve got an excuse)
I salute you.
and I did say “isolate” .... didn’t say “disconnect”
Any electrician will know exactly what you meant. But having done remote support for folk that were (on paper at least) in "skilled (electrically speaking)" category you learn just how strangely others can interpret your instructions. And how wrong they can be.

At least until the point when you tell them what they can do with the telephone and a tub of Vaseline. They usually understand that bit!

Any electrician will know exactly what you meant. But having done remote support for folk that were (on paper at least) in "skilled (electrically speaking)" category you learn just how strangely others can interpret your instructions. And how wrong they can be.

At least until the point when you tell them what they can do with the telephone and a tub of Vaseline. They usually understand that bit!
or ear plugs in listening to the phone falls on deaf ears .

Any gas cental heating / hot water cylinder--pumps running.
I know motor slip can come in at a juddering 3-5Hz ..
(Or you have a lorry park on the hill some where -Cooler trucks park).

(Why I slept one night in the street -( hid in my van) Where I planned to move.. a bit OCD i know .. )
..cos I lived by by a busy main rd once
..it can stop some from sleeping)
.. Preparing with a list of things that don't keep time/ treasured sky box schedules ...shut your power off one night -to test.

Reply to What is the source of the pulsating/vibration noise in my flat? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net