Discuss What is the source of the pulsating/vibration noise in my flat? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I hear it throughout the day as it's quite loud, my hearing is good but I have to listen carefully past the tinnitus noise sometimes. It is a continuous sound for me as well similar pitch to the 10.125 KHz line whistle produced by 405 line TVs. Recently it has been getting noticeably louder for a few days at a time. I also get sudden very short loud blasts of lower frequency buzzing if I'm really tired. I don't like any of it at all...

Last year I mentioned it on here I said I'd had it for 6 years, I'd missed off the 1!

Hello,

I live in a house converted into two flats - I'm in the upstairs flat. For several months now I have been hearing a pulsating/vibration sound throughout my entire flat. It often starts after midnight and continues to late morning or early afternoon and sometimes it is loud enough to stop me from sleeping. However, I don't hear it every night.

It seems to be coming from the roof or up through the walls and sounds electrical.

Any ideas what might be causing the noise?
Did you ever figure it out? We just purchased a 1970's brick ranch. Three weeks in, I'm a wreck. There is a noise 24/7. It also seems to be coming from the roof or through the walls. It's a pulsating hum/noise/vibration, with no discernible pattern. The volume varies slightly throughout the day/night. During the day, with ambient noise it's easy to ignore, but at night, in this quiet neighborhood, it keeps me from sleeping and even ear plugs don't work...like it's vibrating through my body. We've ruled out all the usual suspects...frig and other appliances, noise from neighbors, etc. I've lived with mild tinnitus for years. This noise is not coming from my head. The variation in the "non-pattern" is odd...sort of like Morse code. If we don't figure this out we may need to sell :(

I don't think the original poster has been on since Oct, so nobody has updated on the results.

If you can rule out medical/tinnitus problems (e.g. more than one person is hearing the noises and they are described as the same) then you can try getting a couple of torches for light and turning off EVERYTHING at your main panel.

If the noise stops after a minute or two then it is something in your home that is electrically powered. Finding might be less easy, but you can then put the main power on and do one breaker at a time until the source goes quiet, and trace whatever that powers.

If cutting the whole home power makes no difference, then it has to be some "external" source of noise. It might be related to water flow, possibly wind, or it might be coming via the ground from something nearby like a water or sewage pump.

I guess you have no subway trains or similar nearby?

I don't think the original poster has been on since Oct, so nobody has updated on the results.

If you can rule out medical/tinnitus problems (e.g. more than one person is hearing the noises and they are described as the same) then you can try getting a couple of torches for light and turning off EVERYTHING at your main panel.

If the noise stops after a minute or two then it is something in your home that is electrically powered. Finding might be less easy, but you can then put the main power on and do one breaker at a time until the source goes quiet, and trace whatever that powers.

If cutting the whole home power makes no difference, then it has to be some "external" source of noise. It might be related to water flow, possibly wind, or it might be coming via the ground from something nearby like a water or sewage pump.

I guess you have no subway trains or similar nearby?
Thank you for your response...good suggestions!

No...super quiet neighborhood. No trains or city noises at all. Hadn't thought about the idea of something coming from the ground, like a water or sewer pump. We're on city water and sewer.

My partner doesn't hear it, but he's been playing trumpet his entire life and has lost some hearing. I only hear it on our property. I didn't hear it at our previous house or anywhere else, including in our RV that we camped in for several months.

We have an electrician coming out on Friday. Hopefully he'll be able to run some tests with a multimeter, and try shutting off the breakers one at a time. I would do this, but this house has an old Federal Pacific panel that had been recalled years ago before the company went out of business. I'm afraid to touch the thing! We're going to upgrade the panel soon to a higher amp. Hopefully that won't make the problem worse!

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I would do this, but this house has an old Federal Pacific panel that had been recalled years ago before the company went out of business. I'm afraid to touch the thing! We're going to upgrade the panel soon to a higher amp. Hopefully that won't make the problem worse!
Changing the PF board should be a priority due to the serious risk of it failing to prevent overload fires.

Boards are not commonly a source of noise, though can hum slightly at very high currents. however, that would be obvious when you are next to it and would be unlikely at night unless you have lots of electrically operated heating.

Incidentally, do you have a ground-source or air-source heating system? It is possible the compressor/pump for one of those might make a noise.

My partner doesn't hear it, but he's been playing trumpet his entire life and has lost some hearing. I only hear it on our property. I didn't hear it at our previous house or anywhere else, including in our RV that we camped in for several months.
If you can get a friend or family member with good hearing to stay over at some point and confirm it really is present you should.

I really, REALLY hope it is not a hearing or health problem, but make sure you eliminate that cheaply before spending a lot on chasing any non-existent external electric/plumbing problem.

Thank you for your response...good suggestions!

No...super quiet neighborhood. No trains or city noises at all. Hadn't thought about the idea of something coming from the ground, like a water or sewer pump. We're on city water and sewer.

We have an electrician coming out on Friday. Hopefully he'll be able to run some tests with a multimeter, and try shutting off the breakers one at a time. I would do this, but this house has an old Federal Pacific panel that had been recalled years ago before the company went out of business. I'm afraid to touch the thing! We're going to upgrade the panel soon to a higher amp. Hopefully that won't make the problem worse!

Thanks again for your suggestions.
YES! Have the electrician change that panel out!

My suggestion is to have your husband play louder. That way you'll eventually stop noticing as well.
Just a thought... ?

Hopefully your sparky finds it...

Low frequency hums , do seem to concentrate in certain locations in some rooms . (probably an interference pattern )
I hear one similar to Knobbly tyres on motorways , old propeller planes.
(With a finger in either ear -I still hear hum .. Finger in both ears.. I just hear My ..11kHz tinnitus)
I had wondered if it was
a) City noise pollution... probably
b) Being on a flight path.
similar pitch to the 10.125 KHz line whistle produced by 405 line TVs
(@freddo ..me too 11-12kHz -Too much angle grinding )

Reply to What is the source of the pulsating/vibration noise in my flat? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net