Discuss What is this box and cable on the side of my house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gruber

So, after talking to my supplier and talking with the guys at UkPowerNetworks I still dont have a definitive answer to this problem..

The Box:

What is this box and cable on the side of my house? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The Connection:

What is this box and cable on the side of my house? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

As you can see, the cable coming in from outside connects to the board, I was told by my supplier that it is bypassing the meter but what is its function?

Is the power going out and am I paying for it?

There is a thick cable just out of shot (at the bottom) which I assume is the main power IN cable..

All help massively appreciated.

Air Con unit I reckon, is there a second unit in one of the rooms? If proves to be an A/C unit, and you don't want it any more you need an Electrician to remove the wiring and a Refrigeration and A/C engineer to safely remove the refrigerant from the system an dispose of it safely, it is against the law to just let the refrigerant go to atmosphere.

Last edited:
Where do the other cables go?

That supply cable appears to be connected before the meter and has it's own sealed fuse, so I'm guessing maybe some form of lighting controller for public lighting?
Is that a MICC connecting at the fuse?

It's an unmetered supply so you won't be paying for it.

It goes outside in plastic coated MICC (Pyro).
You probably live in an Ex local authority house and I'd agree it's most likely for lighting , probably walkways or outside stairways.

I bet the box has a time swtich and fuses for individual lighting circuits in it.

"It's an unmetered supply so you won't be paying for it. "

Thanks that was my main concern

"It goes outside in plastic coated MICC (Pyro).
You probably live in an Ex local authority house and I'd agree it's most likely for lighting , probably walkways or outside stairways."

There are multiple cables going in/out from the ground and one cable that goes along the row (4 houses) no lighting for it to power..

"I bet the box has a time swtich and fuses for individual lighting circuits in it."

Does anyone know anything about NTL (now Virgin Media) as i was told it might be something to do with them..

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't understand it, my supplier and UkPowerNetworks say they don't know what it is.
The street lights I assume have their own power and there is no other lighting on the row.
Very strange, I shall continue to ask questions and maybe someone from the Housing Association will be able to tell me exactly what it is.
As soon as I find out I will post here.

I appreciate your time and replys
Thanks!

The way that MICC is terminated I wouldn't think the earthing is much to shout about

The two cables from the ground might be coax, one incoming signal and one outgoing, with a booster amplifier in the wall box. Plus a coax feed off to the 4 houses going up the wall. Might well be all no longer used, my house has such an incoming coax for an old cable TV system no longer used (but fortunately I don't have any eyesore of a box on the wall).

Quite possibly nobody is responsible for it anymore!

If you don't own the house and it's Housing association it's not your problem or responsibility, let them know about it.

You're not being charged for any electricity going out on that MICC.
The Housing association periodic Fixed wiring tests should have identified any issue around the cable.

Reply to What is this box and cable on the side of my house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock