Discuss What is this cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JSSE

-
Reaction score
The kids have moved into a rental mid terrace house in Lincoln and this is a picture of the incomer and meter, Only just looked at it. What is this cable? the one with the orange sheath and the earth clamp, looks to me like MIC, but the cable looks to go straight into the incomer. Any ideas what it could be for, looks strange to me. Where Does it go..........
What is this cable IMG_20210828_124528 - EletriciansForums.net

think it is MICC.you can see the copper sheath where the clamp is. the single insulated tails want addressing, as does the ancient head. get the landlord to call DNO. and those pigtail meter tails are an abomination.

Definitely MICC that sheath colour is unique, it's installation practices do not comply to modern regulation and question how long the run is as I guess it should also be fused.

think it is MICC.you can see the copper sheath where the clamp is. the single insulated tails want addressing, as does the ancient head. get the landlord to call DNO. and those pigtail meter tails are an abomination.
The house is over 100yrs old and yes its a mess. I am an industrial sparks (process control) so quite used to panels being a mess when they get 20 yrs old. What i can't think is what is the MICC for, Not used any myself for over 40yrs (still have the tools though somewhere). Why would you go to the trouble to use MICC and it looks unmetered i will not be there till next weekend will have a closer look.

Definitely MICC that sheath colour is unique, it's installation practices do not comply to modern regulation and question how long the run is as I guess it should also be fused.
Well it is fused ha ha at 100A or 60A What a mess. Very intrigued as to where it goes as its unmetered as well

The kids have moved into a rental mid terrace house in Lincoln and this is a picture of the incomer and meter, Only just looked at it. What is this cable? the one with the orange sheath and the earth clamp, looks to me like MIC, but the cable looks to go straight into the incomer. Any ideas what it could be for, looks strange to me. Where Does it go..........
View attachment 89397
MICC ,PVC /PVC SINGLES, PVC insulated earth cables, and many more that I can'e to lack of clarity. identify

I'd agree that it looks like 2H6 as that is the largest 2-core that uses a 20mm pot. 2H4 would have more of a shoulder around the pot entry while 2H10 would have a 25mm pot.

Not ideal to be sharing the fuse between two properties but not altogether rare; more of an issue if it's 60A and both have showers. The unenclosed pot and conductors insulated only with the stub sleeving are not ideal. It seemed to be a popular way of doing things a few decades back, before internal use of split-con took off. TBH I am sitting about 6 feet from a similar arrangement using 2H10 installed in the 70's (albeit a submain in my own installation not a BNO cable) which I have not yet felt the urge to upgrade.

I would say avoid waggling it about to hang a clamp on it. The last thing you want is for the seal disc to pop out and then find the supply to both properties has to be turned off until it can be made safe.

If it is a link to a neighbouring property, and installed 'legitimately', I cant imagine the DNO would have left the end floating loose, singularly insulated conductors exposed and use a pipe clamp for continuity of earth connection!

Not for some sort of landlord's sub meter is it?
Whatever, it's unlikely that any supply authority has authorised it, terminated like that.

I've seen that style of termination posted a few times here and I've seen it myself on 2 occasions where the meter was installed in a different position to the cutout.

Reply to What is this cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock