Discuss What is this called? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sling

Hi can anyone tell me the name of a part I need. It is basically a connection that keeps a line active when a load is in place, then when the load is removed the line is broken. It has to be so that the load is easy to remove.

Really the product is still in the design stage so I am open to any suggestions. The key thing here is that it must be easy to break the line, and reactivate the line when the load is replaced.

Hi can anyone tell me the name of a part I need. It is basically a connection that keeps a line active when a load is in place, then when the load is removed the line is broken. It has to be so that the load is easy to remove.

Really the product is still in the design stage so I am open to any suggestions. The key thing here is that it must be easy to break the line, and reactivate the line when the load is replaced.

Contactor

Contactor

Hmm well I need it for is quite a small load, in fact it's an LED unit (premanufactured). I was thinking of something that could be put onto a PCB, preferably available from somewhere like RS-Online.

Sorry I realise I'm just being fussy now...

Hmm well I need it for is quite a small load, in fact it's an LED unit (premanufactured). I was thinking of something that could be put onto a PCB, preferably available from somewhere like RS-Online.

Sorry I realise I'm just being fussy now...

Hmmmmm if you said what the load was in the first place I would have said a relay, the power of reading someones mind I do not possess

Suppose this would be electronics. 0.5A and 12V for the LED unit. It will be powered along with a string of other similar LED units (powered from their custom-made adapter) ... but will be a detachable version with a battery also attached so that it can be used as a torch.

This is a help forum and members are only too happy to help.

It may help us if you can give as much info as possible when first posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a help forum and members are only too happy to help.

It may help us if you can give as much info as possible when first posting.

Thank you so much.

My question was answered several posts ago however. As demonstrated by my thanking the two kind people who answered the question.

The trolling, on the other hand, is unnecessary immature and doesn't really give me a great impression of this community.

I respectfully suggest taking action against the people trolling rather than making newbies like myself feel unwelcome. Oh wait what am I thinking, this is the internet lol.

And one of the posters, iansettle1, has removed his post in which he expanded his answer. This was one of the posts I thanked.

It is also the post to which I responded to with what was intended to be good-natured humour.

Wow what is this forum rofl

Sling you could have just said what you specifically wanted to do instead of being really cagey about it and trying to ask for an item for a general purpose - then you wouldn't have had to feed the information in stages, effectively asking the same question 3 times.
Coming into an unfamiliar forum and calling it "another pubbie troll fest" seems bad "netiquette" to me.

Sling you could have just said what you specifically wanted to do instead of being really cagey about it and trying to ask for an item for a general purpose - then you wouldn't have had to feed the information in stages, effectively asking the same question 3 times.
Coming into an unfamiliar forum and calling it "another pubbie troll fest" seems bad "netiquette" to me.

I had to expand the question once. I didn't have to ask it three times. Someone posted a question about it all AFTER my question had been answered, which I mistakenly thought was out of polite interest. Check the thanks I gave and the post which just attempted to make a good-humoured joke and not ask any more questions for the timing of this. It seems this further question asked to me about whether electronics or electrical etc was just to set me up however.

Also newcomers to this thread may want to consider that a post was removed that would be instrumental in understanding this thread. I don't know why this post was removed, as all it did was agree with an answer already given, even if in a slightly narcy way. *edit: this post seems to have been replaced at least for the time being, how nice.*

Anyway, you are obviously not seeing it from my perspective.

Everyone is giving me a hard time because the first person to answer my question was not psychic. It is the first time anyone has had to expand their question on these forums? Really?

I politely suggest that trolling is allowed and even encouraged in these forums. THAT is my perspective. Perhaps you don't understand it. Fair enough. :)

Sling, we are assuming that you are fairly new to forums.

With that in mind, as i said earlier, when you have a question, try and give as much info as possible in your first post.

We dont have any trolling on this forum. This is one of the reasons why its the best there is.

If you feel someone has posted un welcome comments then please report the post rather than retaliate.

I/we run a tight ship here and do not tolerate "un niceness" :D

Sling, we are assuming that you are fairly new to forums.

With that in mind, as i said earlier, when you have a question, try and give as much info as possible in your first post.

We dont have any trolling on this forum. This is one of the reasons why its the best there is.

If you feel someone has posted un welcome comments then please report the post rather than retaliate.

I/we run a tight ship here and do not tolerate "un niceness" :D

I wasn't aware any other type of relay existed other than a PCB mount. If I already knew everything about this topic, then I wouldn't have to ask in a supposed help forum now would I.

Anyway that's all very well but how about the person trolling my thread, a 'blackiel'.

If you run a 'tight ship' how about demonstrating it and telling me about any action you will take against trolls beyond just removing the post (something that seems to happen quite freely here anyway).

Sling,

I have just given an explanation.

And at this moment in time, it appears you are trolling your own thread, however, posts are very rarely deleted, which, if you frequented the forums more often, you would see.

Sling,

I have just given an explanation.

And at this moment in time, it appears you are trolling your own thread, however, posts are very rarely deleted, which, if you frequented the forums more often, you would see.

So ... this means no further action will be taken against the troll.

It sounds as if you even agree with the troll.

Hence my position that trolls are allowed and even encouraged.

This is going to be the last post on the subject.

The member in question is not a troll, however, his post was seen --- being un necessary, so it was therefore deleted. The other post that had been deleted has now been reinstated, once i had read it in context.

Reply to What is this called? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock