Discuss What is this part in my siemens fridge in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Vanita

DIY
Reaction score
My siemens freezer seems to be getting jammed every few weeks due to which the refrigerator stops cooling. This has happened after we got it serviced after 10 years of use. The service guy had mentioned he changed a certain wire because the pressure didn't seem right.

I'm just trying to figure out what could be wrong. Does anyone know what this wire does? And why it's just dangling on top. This is what he said he changed and charged extra money for and now it doesn't work. What is this part in my siemens fridge 1595880377689 - EletriciansForums.net

TL;DR
What does this wire in my freezer do?
it's some sort of sensor. we have similar problem with a bosch. the matrix , like in your pic freezes solid in a few weeks and same problem. contacted 3 refrigiration engineers who all said it could be a number of things, call-out to ascertain would be around £55 +VAT, even then it may be beyond economical repair. put the £55 towards a new one.

I'd say it was a thermocouple which is basically 2 different metals terminated at a point, the resistivity changes with temperature, if it was open circuit then I would expect the software to notice and your fridge wouldn't get cold, if it is not seated properly where it was designed to be then it may be sending back the wrong temperature which could give variable issues like as described but I am only making an educated guess as I do not deal with fridges in any capacity.

Tony's call for it been a thermal fuse may also be correct but question it placing, the only place on a fridge that you need to make sure is not overheating is the compressor in my view.

i know bugger all about freezers . all i can say is that in the top of the matrix/evaporastor/whatever it's called in ours, there is a similar cable dissapeating in the insulation on top. thermocouple or temp sensor seems logical.
[automerge]1595885548[/automerge]
I think the above is correct that is an NTC freezer sensor. When your fridge/freezer loses temperature control it is that part that gets replace. They are Thermistor based and turn the fridge/compressor on or off. See;
does failure of that part cause the matrix to ice up?

Yeh it turns the compressor on and off, thus the temperature controller.
is it a regular fail, and can it be tested continuity etc.? i ask as a new one is £40. don't want to spend that if it's something else.

As to testing I don't know how, Lucien! But the resistance increases and decreases with temperature. So you could measure the resistance with a temperature change but you would need to know the ranges of response. But then what else could it be if temp. is not correct? Unless of course the compressor is knacked.

Shame we don't know what type it is like a type K or J etc as you could try a cheap £5 one to see if it resolves it, if you can see where the cores terminate they should be 2 different colours, these tell you if it is a thermocouple what type it is thus its temperature range and the software will be set for that type, simply buy a cheap one to test it with.

our freezer works fine for about 8 weeks then it goes into alarm and the matrix is frozen up. after defrosting with a hair dryer it's fine again for another 8 weeks or so.

Reply to What is this part in my siemens fridge in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock