Discuss What is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm intrigued too now.

How big are they?
Thanks, all, for your input. I'm attaching a couple more photos. Several of these were buried just under the surface of the ground next to my garage. We live in suburban Philadelphia, so I don't think I have to worry about them being some of kind of leftover war ordinance or something. But I am a little hesitant to try to cut them open, in case they are a type of detonator or so. I'm intrigued and surprised that they aren't instantly recognizable to the electricians in this forum.

Attachments

• What is this? IMG_4338.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4338.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 153
  • What is this? IMG_4337.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4337.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 131
Ah, it's transparent plastic. I thought it was crimped metal tubing. Could just be a cable joint, although why you've got so many of them I don't know.

hit it with ahammer. if it don'tgo bang, then it's not an electrical problem..

it's a condom for a guy who's had the snip/infertile.

I was originally thinking they might be temperature sensors or p.h level sensors.
however, I am leaning toward the mole repellent device that was mentioned by @marconi

it seems the most logical suggestion so far.

as if it was a sensor, it would probably not need to be in a large sealed tube.

please don't take what is below too seriously **

If you are at all concerned about them being explosive, then DO NOT put them all in a bag, bang them down on the counter of your local council and say "are these things explosive?"

You will get an answer, I am sure, but you might have to wait a couple of days (under guard) whilst they do a few checks on both you and the contents of the bag.

I know some radio hams love burying supplemental earthing , expecting in a star formation ... but insulated !
Was there ever a radio station near by (free energy project !)
(still need clues to how much copper / reistance to rule out some weird heater ! )

I vaguely remember the many years ago they used to make LED net lights and fairy light strings similar to that where the enclosed the LED's and their associated components in little heat sealed plastic sleeves to try to give them some form of IP rating.
[automerge]1574640671[/automerge]
Cut one open and post a few pictures of the components inside please.

Last edited:
I'm hoping things have gone quiet ,due to a "downed" telephone cable !
( snagged a few in town helping a bus get thru in the snow -another cold winter )
( he had unwanted rear end steer on a slight slope/camber )

Last edited:
How to tell if it's telephone cable - That stuff is amazingly springy ,resists bending straight a bit like spring steel ? (in UK at least)
That's just the crap copper clad steel rubbish that most of the wholesalers seem to stock now. Proper telephone cable is solid copper. That steel stuff is really awful, shouldn't be allowed to be sold.

Reply to What is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock