Discuss What is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks, all, for your input. I'm attaching a couple more photos. Several of these were buried just under the surface of the ground next to my garage. We live in suburban Philadelphia, so I don't think I have to worry about them being some of kind of leftover war ordinance or something. But I am a little hesitant to try to cut them open, in case they are a type of detonator or so. I'm intrigued and surprised that they aren't instantly recognizable to the electricians in this forum.
Ruzzel iv got to agree with the group it’s similar like a fiber optic splice filled with silicon or some kind of telephone splice. I’m like Dan cut it open and see if it goes bang

Ruzzell - Do you have an update or any more pictures on these as yet unknown terminations? I cannot hold my breath much longer. :)
Thanks, all, for your interest and patience in getting my reply. Well, I finally cut the thing open with gloves on and hiding behind a box, and I'm happy to report that there were not explosions. ;) Here are the pics. I will also say that these gadgets kept digging up under a huge 120-year-old English hew tree that a bunch of boys used to play in and around in the 1970s, with tree fort etc. I don't know if these might have been part of an electronics kit? Maybe a buzzer system or something? Appreciate your input on this modest little mastery. What is this? IMG_4463.JPG - EletriciansForums.netWhat is this? IMG_4461.JPG - EletriciansForums.netWhat is this? IMG_4468.JPG - EletriciansForums.netWhat is this? IMG_4462.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I am sticking with this being a transducer to emit sounds into the ground (around the old tree) to repel vermin (and thus protect the tree).

I think they are bimetal thermostats for the fridge evaproator defrost heaters. Many fridges now use a thermistor controlling an electronic thermostat instead, but some models are still bimetal. The heater is a sheathed element threaded through the evaporator and the thermostat is strapped amongst the fins. It's sealed into the tube as it gets dripped on when the ice melts.

Typically, the defrost timer switches the compressor and fan off and the heater on, Then, once the ice has melted, the thermostat opens and restarts the timer motor in series with the heater. Some have another contact for the timer. See pic:

Fridge defrost thermostat

Last edited:
I suspect Lucien is right. I reckon kids got hold of these years ago and just connected them all together and buried them for something to do. Of maybe even to confuse people (like us) in years to come.

Great thread.

The bi-metallic thermostat theory has a few clouds over it for me, firstly he's found multiple of these items in the same area over time and I can't imagine any application that would result in numerous bi-metallic thermostats being left around. Secondly I'm doubting these things were 230v or even US 110v because one of the wires is connected to the outer metal body which means this thing would have been outdoors at mains voltage with no protection other than a heat sealed plastic sleeve.

I'd guess some type of ELV switch like maybe a vibration sensor for a very old perimeter alarm.

They are from fridges, they aren't meant to be outdoors! No idea how they came to be there; soneone's stock got dumped somehow, maybe kids as per DPG.

I'm with Lucien,on this.....simple devilment...

It's the reason i dug up the Blue Peter time capsule,and swapped the contents for a teddybear,holding an AK47 ;)

Thanks, all. Seems like most votes are for thermostats, in which case they must have ended up there somewhat randomly. No reason for them to be there. Maybe kids found a box of them and buried them. Marconi's suggestion made more practical sense, because this tree and area around it is thronged with chipmunks, mice, and squirrels, which we trap and shoot every year because the tree is right next to our garage, which gets infested. Hew berries are a favorite of the rodents. Guess we'll never know for sure, but I really appreciate your input. Makes me feel better about NOT being able to figure out what these things were. Best, R.

Reply to What is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock