Discuss What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician?

• <£15 p/hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £15 - £19

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £20 - £24

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • £25 - £29

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • £30 - £34

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • £35 - £39

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • £40 - £44

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • £45 - £49

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • £50 - £54

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • £55 - £59

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • £60+

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I do like chatting about prices!

I thought I would start a poll to see 'roughly' what the average hourly rate is for self employed electricians?

To keep it as simple as possible, forget about any 'first hour' rate you may or may not charge and just go for your rate after that.

I realise this isn't going to cover lots and lots of scenarios (quotes, domestic, commercial, location etc etc), but it's just for a bit of amusement and perhaps along the way we'll gain a very rough idea of an electrician's hourly rate.

It will be anonymous so please do answer honestly.

used to be around the £35 mark for small jobs, £25 for if several hours. nowadays. beign reiiant on pension for necessities like beer and smokes, got to be closer to £60 to keep me in the style that i amm accostomed to.

I’m £35 an hour any number of hours, although I might knock a bit off if it’s a full day.

Your poll is misleading as some people charge more for the first hour than subsequent.

When I’m doing a quick smoke detector job with the battery units, the hourly rate comes in at £50 as I charge the customer Screwfix retail prices for the detectors. (Buying them in cheaper, off course)

After a bit of chatter on here a few months ago I went from £30 to £40. Still as busy as I was, still new and returning customers, I charge quarterly after the first hour, and all material is +20%. I'm not vat registered. I charge travel time at the same rate, but try to tie together local jobs.

Hourly Vs Price is always an interesting debate

I feel hourly works best for me as most jobs are 1/2 day unless its a board change then I allow 1 full day (8 hours) , Some jobs might be 2 or 3 days but then I lean more towards a 'Price'

But on bigger jobs the 'Price' guys will do better as if they allow say 6 days and finish in 4 , effectively they get 2 days money for nothing.

Another example is my brother-in-law is a landscaper and doing fencing his makes a killing on installing on 'Price per bay' (per panel). He reckons on a decent fixed price fencing job he can walk away with £900 in his pocket for 1 days work if every thing goes to plan with no mess ups.
That is serious money and way more than he would get charging say £50 per hour labour.

I’m £35 an hour any number of hours, although I might knock a bit off if it’s a full day.

Your poll is misleading as some people charge more for the first hour than subsequent.

When I’m doing a quick smoke detector job with the battery units, the hourly rate comes in at £50 as I charge the customer Screwfix retail prices for the detectors. (Buying them in cheaper, off course)
See my OP regarding first hour and how this is for a bit of amusement and clearly not going to be accurate.

Just seen this ad in my local paper , domestic electrician (also offers IT solutions like adding data points) £60 per hour

Attachments

• DSC06747.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 32
Depends on the market as well, domestic is always a bit lower than industrial or nich markets.
Upper end domestic is on par with commercial / industrial , lower end domestic / handyman wiring is less as every tom dick and harry does it...

After a bit of chatter on here a few months ago I went from £30 to £40. Still as busy as I was, still new and returning customers, I charge quarterly after the first hour, and all material is +20%. I'm not vat registered. I charge travel time at the same rate, but try to tie together local jobs.
Seems you'll be getting close to the 85k vat threshold, then?

I only do 35 hrs per week as have kids so take a lot of time off for school holidays and loose quite a few hours per week for school runs, net profit was 46k ish last year and I turned over 65k ish, so with the 25% increase in wages I should still be safe
£30 to £40 is a 33⅓% increase. VAT threshold is also over a rolling 12 months, not just tax years. Just saying.

Reply to What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net