Discuss What is your preferred method of getting your DC cables into the roof void in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

seprim

Hi
I am about to start my first installation and I am thinking about how to run dc cables from the modules into say. . a roof void. I think I would ok with a 20/25 mm plastic conduit through the soffet and into the roof space that way, but I have reservations about the cable/conduit lasting 25 years wrt direct UV radiation breaking it down.

I was wondering how you guys do yours.

Andrew

Under a tile and through an over lap in the felt. Nibble a grove to the underside of the tile just enough for the DC cables and sticky Lead flashing over cable entry point. Koppex the DC cables within the loft. Make sure to label the DC cables accordingly. Koppex is not a reg or rule just looks good.

Vent tile or the newish solar cable entry way.

Under a tile is not our prefered method due to the likelyhood of the wind (over time) eroading the insulatation due to friction - even if you cable tie it and think it's fixed it will rub over time.

One of the companies I had in to quote wants to route the DC cables under the array (above the tiles) and down the outside wall then through the garage to the main CU, connecting in using an unused way on an existing RCD.

Quite apart from the aethetics I'd never consider this a professional way to do the job and he wont be getting my business. Am I right. or missing something?

As ever, it depend on the circumstances. If the alternative is internal trunking or knocking about a nicely decorated Georgian town house in Bath then running down an outside wall can be a good option.
Regards
Bruce

Solar PV Cables through roof.JPG
This is our preferred method into the roof space or in conduit down outside of house. Yes I know the tile is not sat correctly before someone mentions it!

Last edited:
we use the solardek flashing on plain tiles or slate. On pantile (or other wibbly wobbly tiles, sorry I'm not a roofer!) I use 2 pieces of lead to sandwich the cables, with the edge lapped over to make it smooth and take the nib off the back of the tile to create a little bit of space.

solardek flashing2.jpg
We then pass the cable through the overlap on the felt. I would never punch a hole in the felt as I have seen some do.

It is a requirement of the regs that your cable entry doesn't damage the integrity of the roof and that the cables are protected from chaffing

I would never run DC inside the house except in the loft or surface mounted in trunking or conduit. I definately wouldn't bury it in a wall (partition or solid) or run it under floors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I am about to start my first installation and I am thinking about how to run dc cables from the modules into say. . a roof void. I think I would ok with a 20/25 mm plastic conduit through the soffet and into the roof space that way, but I have reservations about the cable/conduit lasting 25 years wrt direct UV radiation breaking it down.

Andrew

Hi

Andrew
When going under tiles ect, use the best free insulator known to man. Distance! Keep them apart.

Reply to What is your preferred method of getting your DC cables into the roof void in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net