Discuss What kind of engineer does this seem like? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rogelioezell

I would prefer to build mechanical systems as I can be more hands-on, maybe use power tools, etc. Despite this, I am more interested in what electrical products such as computers, radios do, MP3s; I do have an interest in planes, rockets, and vehicles as well, albeit not as much.

I would like to have a career where I get to use some math/physics (I know not all engineers use these topics heavily), design some new technology. I would also love to physically build the product and test, fix it, etc. Also, I don't want to work in a manufacturing plant or be in front of a computer in a cubicle forever.

From a career perspective, would electrical or mechanical engineering suite me better?

I would like to have a career where I get to use some math/physics (I know not all engineers use these topics heavily)
Lol, a good math and physics background would be something most engineers would heavily rely on whatever field they work in.

.......design some new technology. I would also love to physically build the product and test, fix it, etc. Also, I don't want to work in a manufacturing plant or be in front of a computer in a cubicle forever.
From a career perspective, would electrical or mechanical engineering suite me better?
Sounds like you want to get into prototyping. This kind of project is almost invariably undertaken by a team of engineers all with different skill sets. You would need to decide whether you prefer mechanical, electrical, software etc etc and pick a suitable degree. The integration engineers tend to have a broader base of expertise across the various fields but they still come from a specific engineering background and branch out from there.

Have a look at the Aviation Industry. Someone like Airbus or British Aerospace. Their engineers and designers do the lot from concept to the finished product including working with all the 3rd parties involved. There is a hell of a lot going on, and you will get involved with allsorts of stuff.
The downside is (not implying you are thick or anything) you need to be the best of the best to get in with those sort of companies, they are very choosy.

I know from my time as an Avionics Engineer it is very interesting, lots of travel etc, and lots of opportunities once your feet are under the table.

A good place to start is either on the web at Aviation job search, or Flight International Magazine which is stocked in all good shops like WH Smiths.

Cheers.......Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with Howard as i also have an aerospace background, if you dont fancy the degree, what about Engineering Technician (New Product Development or NPD) . in this role you will assist a team of engineers with the design but it will be up to you to build and test the finished product and then evaluate the results with the engineers.

Reply to What kind of engineer does this seem like? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock