Discuss What kind of fuse I need for that slot and where I can get it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As above leave well alone, even the DNO won't open those without cutting the supply cable before the fuseholder. The porcelain becomes brittle with age and these can break apart when handled which can cause the live parts to short to the metal which will result in an explosion.

The fuse is a wire that fits into a plug in carrier. It doesn't matter though as a new service head is required and any repair must not be carried out on this one. Though due to its age and type the cutout will be automatically replaced anyway if it is reported to the DNO.

Are those brand new tails connected to the cutout?! The copper looks extremely shiny.

You cannot get one. You should not go within a country mile of that. Get the DNO in to repair it. The incomer looks thermally damaged and poorly connected keep well away!

The OP claims to be a DIYer and may have opened it by mistake.

Nightshifter: That service fuse (a.k.a cutout) belongs to the network operator and you are not permitted to open it, for reasons of safety and prevention of electricity theft. Because the casing is metal, there is a risk of explosion if a short-circuit occurs, because you would be shorting out the supply to the entire street or neighbourhood.

Do not touch it or let children or pets get near it. Call the network operator. Explain that there is a problem with a cast-iron service head, perhaps you could smell burning. They will probably make it a priority job.

Thank You for Your help. I will call the network operator tomorrow- I'll let them sort it out. I haven't touched it it was left like that by previous tenants of the house. It's first time I saw something like that.
So, have you never had a supply to the installation because of the missing fuse carrier?
A broken terminal screw also, I see. It's certainly a mess and very dangerous.

Reply to What kind of fuse I need for that slot and where I can get it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net