Discuss What kind of motor is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Interesting old machine still in use. I've talked about similar motors before but not this type AFAIK. To the trained eye, the shape of this one is a giveaway, from which you can identify its maker and the technology it uses, and probably say something about the available electrical supply. In any case the shape should tell you something. Note that the bare aluminium covers are non standard, these would normally be steel mesh vent grilles.

What kind of motor is this? Motor - EletriciansForums.net

It's got a handle as well though hasn't it?

old DC motor
Not an unreasonable deduction, but this one won't work on DC at all, not even badly.

I am suspecting it is a brushed motor of sorts.

Slip ring induction.
Another good inference, but no sliprings to be found here. And your logic is correct, it can't be universal as that would run on DC.

a brushed motor of sorts
Yes, it does have brushes.

Nope, not synchronous

Is it Stepper motor, I'm guessing because of the handle.

I meant I thought Tel's van had a starting handle!!

Is it rotor resistance controlled.

No, and all the rotor-resistance controlled motors I've ever seen have had sliprings so would have been a positive result for your previous question about that.

Split-phase (180 degree) on a farm?

As far as motors are concerned, a split-phase supply is generally used as a single-phase supply of the higher voltage. So a 230-0-230 installation would have 460V single-phase motors of otherwise ordinary construction. As it happens, this motor could optionally be used on 460V so there is a slight clue here, although not in any way to do with farming.

Historically there were special 2-phase motors for 2-phase supplies (note this is different to using two phases from a 3-phase supply as they were usually 90° apart) but again not relevant here.

Yes it's old, but we have plenty of older plant in use so not exceptional at least in my sphere.

Keep on with suggestions but I've got a meeting soon so might not reply for a while.

As a teenager I once worked on the repair of an ac repulsion motor which had a wound rotor with commutator and brushes whose axis was displaced by a few degrees from the field axis, the field coil being supplied directly by mains ac supply. The brushes were shorted I seem to remember. And I vaguely remember the displacement of the brushes could be changed by a handle for speed control.
It powered a butcher's screw meat mincer. Is the image of a similar motor? And made by BTH?

Last edited:
end of the day, it's skip fodder.

Reply to What kind of motor is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock