Discuss What kW is this oven/hob? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer has a smeg sy921px8 symphony.

On line it looks like it is 15.8kW, but if you look at the rating plate in the picture it looks like it is less than this!

In the picture it has a squiggle then says 12.5kW. Is this the total rating of both oven and hob? Just seems weird it has the hob rating, then total rating but not oven rating.

The reason for the enquiry is relating to the cable size I will be using, 6mm or 10mm.

What kW is this oven/hob? IMG-20211008-WA0000 - EletriciansForums.net

Even if it's 'only' 12.5kw you're into 10mm cable anyway so not sure of the dilema?

I think the difference in rating is due to the Booster function.
I'm not sure if it's a Smeg thing or whether it came up on a different make, but has been discussed before, an owner was complaining about the reduction.
Although the Booster can add 2.2kw to the front left hob I believe it does it by reducing power elsewhere if the Hob / Oven is in full use, so the max use never exceeds 12.5kw.

6.0mm cable ref.C has been fine upto 15kW for donkeys, allowing for diversity. never even hots up a 32A MCB above warm.
6mm rated to 46A - 12.5kw being 53ish. Totally agree with you practically, however.

You could probably shove 100a up a 6mm and it wont even bat an eyelid

But following the regs for a 12kw load i would fit 10mm

6.0mm cable ref.C has been fine upto 15kW for donkeys, allowing for diversity. never even hots up a 32A MCB above warm.
I believe this actually includes a 5A allowance for a socket too. My diversity calculation suggests that without a socket, A 32A circuit will power up to 19kW of cooking appliances:

(32-10)=22
22/0.3=73.3
73.3+10 = 83.3
83.3 X 230 = 19159W

Whats your thinking behind your first comment out of interest?
Not very scientific but i have seen several vids on the web where people have passed rather large currents through small cables with no ill effect , i think John Ward did one with 1.5 and it took 70+ amps before he got it smoking

Now I am not suggesting that we should bend or ignore the manufacturers recommended current ratings but in reality a cable clipped in free air will take much more current quite happily than it is rated for

But as I say , you should install cable as per the regs and manufactures instructions

agree. tested one once, a 16mm T/E carrying 110A. it managed to reach 40 deg.after 20 minutes when the 63A MCB tripped. this was a pub/restaurant kitchen.

Even if it's 'only' 12.5kw you're into 10mm cable anyway so not sure of the dilema?
Like some of the replies above 12.5kW is fine on a 6mm with diversity, whereas 15.8kW is pushing it.

I'm a bit surprised at all the suggestions of 10mm when only 12.4kW. Do you guys not apply diversity as in the OSG?

Just found the manufacturers instructions which says 6mm.
Im happy with that.
Thanks for all the replies ?

Haven't looked lately but there always used to be a bit in the on site guide on cookers..15kw 32a MCB 6mm cable.. something like that

Reply to What kW is this oven/hob? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock