Discuss What level apprenticeship do I start at? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I am in my final year of school (UK) and I am expected to pass all my gcses, could anyone tell me which apprenticeship level I can start on if I want to do the installation electrician and maintenance electrician level 3 apprenticeship. I have little knowledge in electrics however I know the extreme basics. Anything back will be appreciated. Thanks, J.

Hi, I am in my final year of school (UK) and I am expected to pass all my gcses, could anyone tell me which apprenticeship level I can start on if I want to do the installation electrician and maintenance electrician level 3 apprenticeship. I have little knowledge in electrics however I know the extreme basics. Anything back will be appreciated. Thanks, J.
contact your local college/s. what you want is c&g 2356 level 2 followed by level 3 for core qualification. then it's onwards and upwards.

I think the level 2 might be included in a level 3 and that is why it is up to 4 years long, however if I’m wrong please correct me
afaik, you do level 2 then level 3. 1-2 years each dependent on the course. can be 1 day a week, 2 evenings,or more intense could be shorter overall.

I think the level 2 might be included in a level 3 and that is why it is up to 4 years long, however if I’m wrong please correct me
afaik, you do level 2 then level 3. 1-2 years each dependent on the course. can be 1 day a week, 2 evenings,or more intense could be shorter overall.
Will you need to
oh ok just when I search the level 2 one online the (c&g one you mentioned) it comes up with nvq level 3, so from what I’ve seen I’m guessing the level 2 is integrated into the level three NVQ now, this would make sense because the level 3 says it’s four years (between 42 and 48 months) and you said each course takes 1-2 years. If I’m correct

Level 2 followed by 3 is what you do if you're just at college with no employer. If you get an employer and get on a proper apprenticeship it's straight to Level 3 (ie the whole thing is Level 3 there is no progression from 2 to 3.)

You want to go the apprenticeship route if you can but the Level 2 followed by 3 at college is a good alternative.

I started Level 2 and then found an employer and i'm now doing day release at Level 3.

Ps it should be said that you don't have a choice over what you start on - it's not a course you can just go and sign up for, if you want to do the Level 3 Apprenticeship you need an employer and it's up to them to sort it all out, they will put you on it with a local college or provider.

The college will deal with your employer directly and not you.

Your best bet is to get your GCSE's, get as good grades as you can (you need at least a 4 in English and Maths, otherwise most employers won't take you and if they do you'll need to redo them at college) and then start applying to firms local to you for apprenticeships.

A tip is - put a picture of yourself on your CV and keep it basic, it helps you stand out in this day and age of overdone CV's with bells and whistles. You just want bulletpoint information on there and a bit about you, that's it.

My employer gets 30+ emails a week asking about work from unqualified men. He told me mine stood out because i put a picture on my CV, and that made him read it, and then he gave me a job. The job has now turned into an apprenticeship. It's EAL i think which is a bit of a bummer since the C&G is more recognised but still, i'll end up qualified the same as anyone else since i'm doing a proper 42 month apprenticeship.

Reply to What level apprenticeship do I start at? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net