Discuss What made you want to be a sparky ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
As the title says , why did you do it ? What ever were you thinking !:rolleyes2:

I got into it after my old man said i needed a trade when i finished school , and the family farm was not big enough for both me and my older brother to work on together !
He wanted me to be a pipe jockey but after trying to fix a broken video recorder it was changed to a sparky (I never did manage to put that bloody thing back together again !!!).:hammer:

simple !was offered YTS when i left school plumber or bricky £27 a week ,my dad came home and his firm offered me £42 a week as a apprentice spark! here i am 25 years later a millionaire!!!!!!!!

Was 26 yrs old and flicking through the college website when I saw the course. I've always been interested in wiring lights so I thought y not..... 2 1/2 yrs on and it was the best thing I've ever done. I seem to just get it

Plumbing and Carpentry I learned from my father to an acceptable DIY standard so Electrics seemed the natural course for a practical young chap.

pipe jockey, hmmm...

# Aaannndd its 'Waterflow' being held back by 'Ballcock' in an increasingly pressurised race, 'Plunger' is pushing through as 'Airlock' is holding back, 'Bidet' is staying a the rear 'Check valve' rushes past the pack only to be beaten by 'Soldered Joint' sweating to the finish#

done btec in construction, and thought have few options now, structural engineer was the one i liked, but we had ababy so didnt apply for full time course where electrical was 1 day per week and could still earn... aand i do like it most of time..

I was working in a factory that made switchgear, after countless jobs in various factories scince leaving school and having seen the manufacturing industry go right down the sh***ter in this country i saw an ad in a local paper for a trainee electrician, went for an interview, they were offering me the same rate of pay i was currently on for being a trainee (£5 ph) and they were going to pay for me to go to college, and it would be nights so i didnt miss a days pay, and they payed for the hours i was actually at college, Bonza,!!! I started in Jan/feb on the provisio that if i cut it i would start college in sept, well suffice to say i never looked back, I was 26 at the time, 29 when i qualified, 35 now and wonder why i just didnt do something more simple with my career!!! lol

My Dad's a sparky, followed him around from as soon as I could walk so had a fairly long unofficial apprenticeship. Never bothered qualifying until recently (Used to Electrical Trainee route to get paper's - I don't mind being honest) Ideally would like to emmigrate with it but now we have a kiddie it might not be so easy to go.

TBH who knows

i fitted windows
qualified as a 360 digger operator at 17
then my old man who's a spark basically told me to sort it out and get a "proper trade" never looked back!

Saw an electrician and thought this looks like an easy job, walking round with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver fixing things.

Big mistake - 38 years and loads of courses later still hard at it trying to make a living !

family talked me out of a mechanical apprenticeship, did a full time electrical lev 2 course for a year then started my apprenticeship at 18 started the course all over did lev 2 again before lev 3, then done 17th am2 and 2391 just took a chance tbh and luckilly love it, love the mindset ive always thought it takes a lot of common sense to be a spark and good problem solving skills which i like

Well for me it was the lure of exotic climes, always having a gorgeous blonde on my arm, fame wealth and an endless supply of class A drugs ...................

So after a life long career in quantum physics and a former Nobel Prize winner, I answered an advert in a magazine, promising me a wonderful career in 5 weeks earning 50k a year .............so here I'am 6 weeks later, my phone as not stopped ringing.

I have 6 rewires this week alone, I've turned down 4 CU changes and next week I start a fair size project on some terminal extension in Heathrow, I just can't seem to get enough twin and earth for that one though.

I'm trying to fit a trip over to the States to introduce the Oscars, I have this bird leaving me messages on my phone Jennifer someone asking for a date, and I just found out today from a guy called Barlow he wants me to do all the lights for some gig in June

I don't know why I never took the plunge sooner really.

Well for me it was the lure of exotic climes, always having a gorgeous blonde on my arm, fame wealth and an endless supply of class A drugs ...................

So after a life long career in quantum physics and a former Nobel Prize winner, I answered an advert in a magazine, promising me a wonderful career in 5 weeks earning 50k a year .............so here I'am 6 weeks later, my phone as not stopped ringing.

I have 6 rewires this week alone, I've turned down 4 CU changes and next week I start a fair size project on some terminal extension in Heathrow, I just can't seem to get enough twin and earth for that one though.

I'm trying to fit a trip over to the States to introduce the Oscars, I have this bird leaving me messages on my phone Jennifer someone asking for a date, and I just found out today from a guy called Barlow he wants me to do all the lights for some gig in June

I don't know why I never took the plunge sooner really.

keep taking the tablets, malc. send me a few over when you can. LOL.

All my brothers were plasterers so naturally at the ripe old age of 15 I became an unofficial app plasterer, working in Swansea and in digsI got peed off after a few weeks because I was stuck in the digs whilst the others went to the boozers,jumped on the train,went home saw an advert for apprentices(mech+elect) for the colliery and did the exam I had a piece of paper sent to me offering a job as app electrician (electrician.the only thing I knew about electrics was how to plug the iron into the light adaptor
What made you want to be a sparky ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
)I'm still deciding if I have made the right move
What made you want to be a sparky ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to What made you want to be a sparky ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock