Discuss What Mistakes Have You Done? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul.M

Regular EF Member
On site today and I had an Ashley backbox that was loose on one side because the plasterer is rubbish (another story). Anyway, I thought I'd do a quick fix by putting some fire foam on the dodgy side to hold it in the cavity wall. The walls are full of the stuff anyway.

I'm there putting a bit in at a time so not to over fill the void. Ok a bit more as nothing is showing. Ok a bit more, still nothing foaming back at me. Ok a lot more until it starts foaming back at me..... That was a bit of a mistake.

One of the building site labourers said "are you sure your not going through the other side?"

Me "No, don't think so mate. Let's just have a look to check." Then I saw this coming out of the other room:-

Paul you rounded door handle. I've only gone and put way too much in and its now running down the wall like a slow moving waterfall! Btw this picture was taken just as the flow began, ten seconds later I was too busy to take a pic but it was worst than that!

Twenty mins spent cleaning the foam from the other backboxs and cables, another 40 mins cleaning the bloody foam from my hands and screwdriver, what a prat :). Oh, that's a £40 socket that I've just wrecked, its in the bin, they can clean it if they want because I'm not.

Head spark just laughed at me and then banned me from using the foam gun again unless supervised! Think he was joking but I'll put that to the test tomorrow :):).

Lesson for today Paul, don't be out done by the words of wisdom from a builders labourer again lol.

What silly mistakes have you done in the past? This could be an interesting thread if people own up?

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
should have left it to set. it's easy to cut away with a knife when set. no gooey mess. next time use some dryline adhesive.

darkwood

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Once went to a Toga party dressed as a Goat............ :(

Bloody dislexia!

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Digging down for a cable to move a meter on a caravan site. Marker paint mark on the floor I was told, 3 feet later, no sign of cable. Called the site manager over, oh no mate that's where we want the new meter, the cables around the other side of the van. :6:

axel132132

Regular EF Member
When i was 17 i cut about 20 fastafix boxes into the walls.. I turned them so the face was on the plaster drew around and cut them all out.. Turned them around to push them in once id cut all 20 out and OOOPS they pushed straight into wall cavity.. Cos im PROO

Resu

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Cut the tip of my left index finger off on the second week of my apprenticeship with my shiny new stanley knife! Made fitting things off difficult for a month and a half!

johnboy6083

Band Member
Loads of times when I first started, I forgot to put shrouds on the SWA before glanding it. Ive also cut the wrong cable down to gland it, and it was short.
Try not to make to many mistakes these days, but they still happen!

trev

Regular EF Member
While I'm a third year apprentice and my mother bought these two bloody horrible brass chandalier things so I said I'd put them up at the weekend for her. She told me because I'm not a proper electrician yet I'd do no such thing, so to keep her happy I said ok and that I'd ask my mentor to pop round one day after work.
I made the mistake of asking him just outside the bait cabin. Sparkys, plumbers, joiners, even the bloody labourers tore into me for about a week then one of the other apprentices cocked something up so I was left alone

thekingiam

Regular EF Member
knocked a scafolding coupler down some stairs on to fire alarm setting off alarm and evacuating food factory, a couple of thousand in down time for factory helicopter fly by to check no harmfull gas escaping, was working as a mate at the time and denied everything.

C

claret73

I don't mind owning up. Best to own up & learn & move on...

Was working in a department store & was up on the second shop floor with the spark below me up near the ceiling on the phone asking me to drop the rod through. I did as he said...the phone goes silent, next thing he's come up the escalator to me and says "You were supposed to attach the cable..."

Best one for me & not proud of it, same chain of department store. Altering a power socket in a concession & kept getting last minute calls from the building contractor to change position. Anyway, must have been 3rd time I changed the socket placing. The Electrician went up a few floors to do a minor job elsewhere, asked me to join him when I was done. Grabbed the double extension ladders & battery drill. Ladders on my shoulder, onto the escalator...next thing I hear is a 'Crash, Bang, Wallop' with the escalator coming to a grinding halt & bits of ladder flying off. Only got the top of the ladder jammed on the ceiling, which in turn jammed on the escalator tread. Disaster!!!! As I'm self employed subbie to the guy I got the insurance quote from the escalator engineers...8k!!! But in the end, nothing got put through...absolutely died a death of shame that day!! I couldn't stop apologising...

OP
Paul.M

Paul.M

Regular EF Member
When I was starting out as a mate the boss dropped me off at a house to fit a security light. I knocked on the door, told the lady who I was and what I'm here for (rented property) and away I went.

Almost finished the job when the neighbour from down the street came up and asked if I was the sparky fitting here security light at number 46? That's right, the boss sent me to 64 and she dint say anything! Lol, free fitting due to a spelling error.

ExArmy

Electrician's Arms
about 2 years ago i was fixing down boards after running a new cable in in my own house (2 way light conversion) i carefully marked out where on the end of the board the cables were running accross the joist(and not to put a screw)and then proceeded to put a screw right on the mark. right throught the cable. then at that point i banned myself from using the cordless and gave myself a good talking too!

applemac

Electrician's Arms
When i was 17 i cut about 20 fastafix boxes into the walls.. I turned them so the face was on the plaster drew around and cut them all out.. Turned them around to push them in once id cut all 20 out and OOOPS they pushed straight into wall cavity.. Cos im PROO

done that last month, wasn't thinking straight...dont want to relive that feeling...

Brightspark2

Regular EF Member
Was poking through a false ceiling once in a canteen, (the tiled type in offices), had half my body up through it, then for some reason when I was coming back down the ladders I put my wieght on the framework of the cieling and it all fell down :eek:mg_smile:. It was just hanging onto the wall in certain parts and my work mates proping it up in the middle. Massive sweat on trying to get it back up before dinner started, I tried not show i was panicking but really I had a little poo in my pants.

Funny when you where an apprentice and you relize you have done some wrong and made a big mistake and you just start sweating thinking oooooohhhhhhh sh*t!!!!!!....trying to think how you can fix it before you have to tell your boss...

Brightspark2

Regular EF Member
Evacuated a site or two with forgeting to turn the fire beams off in my early years. Then up you go on your scissor lift, reach the top of the building and off goes the fire alarm. oh sh*t!!!. Back down again to gather outside, the shame as you walk out and news has already spread its your fault, especially if its raining. Then up turn the fire brigade lol.

ian.settle1

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
When I was serving my time many years ago before the H&S culture took over we where putting in a fire alarm system in pyro into a very large printing site.

We had to run a leg into the buildings large boiler room so I asked the maintenance fitters chargehand if it was OK to go into the boiler room to install the pyro? no problem he said, we were pulling the pyro in when a large coil dropped onto the lever which operated the CO2 fire suppression system, me and the spark out of that boiler room at such a speed that Usain Bolt would have come third if there was a race between the three of us.

Went and told the chargehand there had been a slight accident and we had set the CO2 off he replied thats OK we set a bottle off every so now and again to test the system I said yeh but we have set off all 14 bottles, oh but don't worry he said it's our fault as we should have put the safety pin in to stop it going off.

sparks1973

Regular EF Member
On site today and I had an Ashley backbox that was loose on one side because the plasterer is rubbish (another story). Anyway, I thought I'd do a quick fix by putting some fire foam on the dodgy side to hold it in the cavity wall. The walls are full of the stuff anyway.

I'm there putting a bit in at a time so not to over fill the void. Ok a bit more as nothing is showing. Ok a bit more, still nothing foaming back at me. Ok a lot more until it starts foaming back at me..... That was a bit of a mistake.

One of the building site labourers said "are you sure your not going through the other side?"

Me "No, don't think so mate. Let's just have a look to check." Then I saw this coming out of the other room:-

Paul you rounded door handle. I've only gone and put way too much in and its now running down the wall like a slow moving waterfall! Btw this picture was taken just as the flow began, ten seconds later I was too busy to take a pic but it was worst than that!

Twenty mins spent cleaning the foam from the other backboxs and cables, another 40 mins cleaning the bloody foam from my hands and screwdriver, what a prat :). Oh, that's a £40 socket that I've just wrecked, its in the bin, they can clean it if they want because I'm not.

Head spark just laughed at me and then banned me from using the foam gun again unless supervised! Think he was joking but I'll put that to the test tomorrow :):).

Lesson for today Paul, don't be out done by the words of wisdom from a builders labourer again lol.

What silly mistakes have you done in the past? This could be an interesting thread if people own up?
wiring out an RCBO for Zs (my MFT won`t do a low current loop)....fizz fizz puff of smoke...and killed it.....what a dic....should have known better...lol....come on Paul...you were there to witness it..lol....went and replaced it like for like..(40A b curve wylex)....

OP
Paul.M

Paul.M

Regular EF Member
wiring out an RCBO for Zs (my MFT won`t do a low current loop)....fizz fizz puff of smoke...and killed it.....what a dic....should have known better...lol....come on Paul...you were there to witness it..lol....went and replaced it like for like..(40A b curve wylex)....
Yep I wasn't happy about that one but ssshhh**** happens, its how we deal with it that counts.

sparks1973

Regular EF Member
Yep I wasn't happy about that one but ssshhh**** happens, its how we deal with it that counts.
well got another of ov Leigh....so it got sorted....i think the guy was happy enough though i went and put another in for him after work...

P

Ponty Massive

I think my worst was wiring a ring main in a house in 3-core (1.5) thinking it was T+E. A complete ball ache !!

OP
Paul.M

Paul.M

Regular EF Member
It's almost as bad as an X Arms member from this forum that went to the Elex show in Manchester this year. "Im off to get my new (2nd hand) PAT tester calibrated FOC."

Watching him plug it in like a kid with a new toy i/we (Phil D) noticed he was going to press the full test button dumping the full load onto earth. "Dont push that......... button," too late. He only burnt out the rcd for 6 stalls so they couldn't display their expensive goods or show demos on their lap tops.

Phil D and myself did what any good friend would do and walked away laughing. The look on the stall owners could have turned coal into diamonds, it was that intense.

sparks1973

Regular EF Member
It's almost as bad as an X Arms member from this forum that went to the Elex show in Manchester this year. "Im off to get my new (2nd hand) PAT tester calibrated FOC."

Watching him plug it in like a kid with a new toy i/we (Phil D) noticed he was going to press the full test button dumping the full load onto earth. "Dont push that......... button," too late. He only burnt out the rcd for 6 stalls so they couldn't display their expensive goods or show demos on their lap tops.

Phil D and myself did what any good friend would do and walked away laughing. The look on the stall owners could have turned coal into diamonds, it was that intense.
yep it was special wasn`t it....:stuart:

OP
Paul.M

Paul.M

Regular EF Member
dont know about `burning the RCD out` though Paul....more like it disconnected......
Ok so why did it take the on site sparky 45 mins, after ripping the board to bits, to reset it?

I still don't know because I was too embarrassed to ask him lol. Funny, just funny.

timbobelfast

Electrician's Arms
While doing a nightshift in a large super market chain I was menovering the scissor lift round a tight corner on the shop floor. Turned out I slightly mis-judged the length of the lift and managed to crumple the bottom shelf with the rear wheel. Good news was it was only cheap lemonade. Bad news was that the store manager wasn't too happy :oops:

Last edited:

1shortcircuit

Before I even started training in this field I was experiencing issues with my shower. It kept tripping out, anyway I did some investigation work and found that the 6mm shower cable had been trapped between a floor board and noggin. Whoever installed the cable had obviously completed everything before putting boards back down so just refitted the board over the top.

Anyway, after realising this I just thought that I would chisel out some of the noggin so that the cable wouldn't be pinched anymore... Cool, Job done. Refit boards and go back downstairs to find a massive crack in the ceiling!. It would have appeared that the nogging didn't only touch the floor boards but also the ceiling.

When I started working on a rewire I put my foot right through it.... yep, the ceiling lol I have pictures somewhere :) The floor boards had been left up on the landing stairs and when I was asked to bring the ladder up I was concentrating more on not damaging the decor on the wall (which also had lots of picture frames etc). Must have caught the very edge of the last board and my ankle turned over.... Should have seen that hole lol. I will find the pictures and post them up lol

i=p/u

Electrician's Arms
drilled through a 4 inc pipe in sisters house when done my first downlights . cud of cried .. doing swa and forgetting shrouds, list could go on as i nearly trained myself

Brightspark2

Regular EF Member
me and the spark out of that boiler room at such a speed that Usain Bolt would have come third if there was a race between the three of us.
ha ha brilliant

When I started working on a rewire I put my foot right through it.... yep, the ceiling lol I have pictures somewhere :) The floor boards had been left up on the landing stairs and when I was asked to bring the ladder up I was concentrating more on not damaging the decor on the wall (which also had lots of picture frames etc). Must have caught the very edge of the last board and my ankle turned over.... Should have seen that hole lol. I will find the pictures and post them up lol

I know people who have done this, on freshly plastered cielings to...funny...not an electrician though, a joiner...

Same joiner told me a story that I was in tears at laughing...They had just done an extension and fitted a new bathroom suite but the waste pipe wasnt connected, so word was spread not to use the toilet and a sign put up too, joiner and builders leave for the day and theres only 2 people left on site...Next day my mate turns up first to find poo splatered all down the back of the new extension, someone had only used the toilet, site managers going mad becuase of the stains left in the dry toilet and the stains all down the back of the house...but neither of the lads wouldnt own up to it...so good morning for him having to jet wash it all off...classic...

ian.settle1

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
The biggest mistake I ever made was marrying the Sunday School teaching daughter of a bunch of po-faced religious maniacs who had no sense of adventure & even less sense of humour !!!!
Was going to make a comment but then realised it was in the main forum and not the arms.

axel132132

Regular EF Member
Remembered a few more

One was working in a hospital again as an apprentice this time i was working with the builders taking down a wall, we smashed through it with sledge hammers going crazy at the ******* thing (Was on a saturday) next thing you know.. Dust set of smoke alarm

FULL HOSPITAL evacuated.. People going crazy it was absolutely mental! Luckily we didnt get into too much trouble as the caretaker was supposed to have turned them off.

Another being not me an apprentice i worked with for old company, i said to her (Yes a female apprentice).. Dont step on that board there as its plasterboard you will go straight through.. Bearing in mind the was a commerical unit not a house the drop to the floor below was about 3 meters maybe more.. I turn around go downstairs to check something CRASH BANG WALLOP.. i think OMG No way, walk around the corner there she is lying on the floor!! Luckily she was ok and stood back up, i said what happened she said ''i forgot that you told me not to step on the board so i stepped on it by accident".. She was sent home lol! The only saving grace for her stupidity WAS that there was fibreglass ontop of the board that she stood on lol!

Geordie Spark

Regular EF Member
Remembered a few more

One was working in a hospital again as an apprentice this time i was working with the builders taking down a wall, we smashed through it with sledge hammers going crazy at the ******* thing (Was on a saturday) next thing you know.. Dust set of smoke alarm

FULL HOSPITAL evacuated.. People going crazy it was absolutely mental! Luckily we didnt get into too much trouble as the caretaker was supposed to have turned them off.

Another being not me an apprentice i worked with for old company, i said to her (Yes a female apprentice).. Dont step on that board there as its plasterboard you will go straight through.. Bearing in mind the was a commerical unit not a house the drop to the floor below was about 3 meters maybe more.. I turn around go downstairs to check something CRASH BANG WALLOP.. i think OMG No way, walk around the corner there she is lying on the floor!! Luckily she was ok and stood back up, i said what happened she said ''i forgot that you told me not to step on the board so i stepped on it by accident".. She was sent home lol! The only saving grace for her stupidity WAS that there was fibreglass ontop of the board that she stood on lol!
Blonde by any chance ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Black

Votes: 33 34.0%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.