Discuss What percentage of Sparks voted Brexit? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I was born in Scotland, I have a Scottish accent and live in England. As much as we are brought up to “hate” the English, I am a proud Britiah citizen. I love GB and since travelling to many different countries I have learned to appreciate how Great our little island is actually!
I also supported England in the World Cup which would I wouldn’t admit to most of my family.
Let’s all be proud together

Like yourself, I was born in Scotland, but lived in England for almost 30 years before coming home back in 2010. I have no problem with England or its wonderful people. But those bloody English football commentators and media pundits do my nut in. :D

I was born and live in England therefore I am English unfortunately very few application forms now permit this race to be used thus we are all tarred with British tag which everyone adopts to live here. Do we hear the Scots or Welsh wanting to be called British, no they use their correct tag.

I was born in Scotland, I have a Scottish accent and live in England. As much as we are brought up to “hate” the English, I am a proud Britiah citizen. I love GB and since travelling to many different countries I have learned to appreciate how Great our little island is actually!
I also supported England in the World Cup which would I wouldn’t admit to most of my family.
Let’s all be proud together

Like yourself, I was born in Scotland, but lived in England for almost 30 years before coming home back in 2010. I have no problem with England or its wonderful people. But those bloody English football commentators and media pundits do my nut in. :D

I find it weirdly amusing to listen to them. I like Shearer and Jenas. They are biased and don’t like to to say how they feel lol

If wanting our country to have pride in itself again and be proud of the global contributions we've made over the course of history (and continue to make) instead of being a whiney, self-loathing lefty sheep that's been brainwashed into believing all ill's in the world are our fault means I'll be labelled any or all of those things... bring on the labels!

I'm proud of my country and what we have achieved etc. However, I'm realistic enough to accept we've taken advantage of a lot of the countries & peoples we 'visited', to achieve that. But that was in a different era, and we are making amends for that.

Voted out, no brainer for me. EU does not work and has hindered a whole generation of young people, which is so sad. EU can only work when it is a full blown united states of europe. In simple terms this means a full normalisation of living standards across EU, guess who the winners and losers will be... Also it is so totally un-democratic it must feel like what the peoples of USSR have felt, and we know where that ended up.
Its a total train crash, the quicker we get out the better,

I don't understand this. Many Europeans agree with Brexit (eg Greeks, Portuguese, Italians). Just not French and Germans. But journalists and civil servants seem to be largely remainers, hence the skewed rhetoric

Exactly.

They only see the positive effects as the competition for jobs and resources does not effect them.

If policy decisions were made deciding the cost of journalism and the civil service needed reducing through mass immigration then every news article, TV news bulletin would be and endless slew of anti EU rhetoric.

I'm proud of my country and what we have achieved etc. However, I'm realistic enough to accept we've taken advantage of a lot of the countries & peoples we 'visited', to achieve that. But that was in a different era, and we are making amends for that.

I never claimed we didn't take advantage, to do so would be incredibly disingenuous. My complaint is that the bad points of our history are given far greater weight than the good points.

There are many countries and peoples who have conquered others during human history yet we, The British (and other white Europeans - I'm thinking America and South Africa) are not allowed to forget our colonialist past.

Just as we are not allowed to forget our part in the slave trade. Whilst the critics demanding reparations for our part in it conveniently forget we played a huge part in the abolition of slavery, it is still alive and well in the middle east and Africa and it's a practice that has gone on through out history, affecting nearly every country at some point in it's past.

Even some of our greatest minds are now being criticised (the names that spring to mind right now are Rudyard Kipling - racist, Einstein - racist, Shakespeare - racist).

Where do we draw the line? Do we continue to delve into the darkest corners of our history to find little nuggets of dirt that none of us would be proud of today? Dirt that is ultimately used to negate past achievements by painting the achievers as some kind of sub-human monster that despised another race for example?

It is possible to teach both the good and the bad, we just appear to be choosing to focus on the bad. As a consequence, pride in this country is in my opinion at an all time low because all the youngsters hear about is how bad we've been. How we were the bully of the world.

Maybe not, but my anti-feminist stance does suggest I have internalised misoginy so I might as well be a straight white male :D
Hey @SparkyChick its 2018 and the lefties have made it possible for you to become sparkyman.. within the year you will be able to self identify as whatever you want when that gender recognition nonsense is changed. oh the world we have created!

Hey @SparkyChick its 2018 and the lefties have made it possible for you to become sparkyman.. within the year you will be able to self identify as whatever you want when that gender recognition nonsense is changed. oh the world we have created!

All I need is some branded T's that say 'SparkyChap' and a salami in my pocket and I'll be set... can blame the ----- on too much beer and rebrand them moobs :D

To be honest Midwest is right that in the days of the British empire we did a lot of bad stuff to other countries, but the colonialism story is at best mixed. I don't care so much for the past though apart from a curiosity, i always think what my great grandparents generation did has nothing to do with me, can't give me credit can't blame me either. We definitely are lucky to have an elevated importance in the world due to our history whether bad or good, and some times we were on the receiving end eg Roman empire. Look at what happened when they collapsed.
On the other hand look at countries like China, whatever your opinion on the big cultural differences, the Chinese were never into colonialism and were pretty far ahead for most of recorded history. Like most countries they are proud of their history even despite more recent mistakes.
They are certainly doing well as a whole for being one giant self contained country, but some sections are left behind. I've no idea how they would consider if they were given a referendum to split into provinces! i guess the squeezed or left behind people would be more inclined to vote leave?

wrong. Great Britain and NI form the UK of Gt. Britain and NI,NI is not British.
Fully agree, as my passport says I am an Irish citizen not British, but however we are getting dragged along with the crowd. It's sad at best I've never desired to be British, but I'll just have to accept it as there is nothing we can do about it

As the vote was won by just over a million votes, the size of a couple of cities & isles, you'll never get everyone agreeing.

However, thats democracy, and its time we got on with it and left.

Reply to What percentage of Sparks voted Brexit? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock