Discuss What pets do you have, and what pets have you had? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Always had a dog and a cat or two around the place, although the cats are supposed to be part of the work force, rather than pets. Applies to the dog as well, in theory, but not quite in practice.
Current mutt is 14 years old, and beginning to fall about a bit at the rear end, so we're beginning to realise he won't last forever. He fell down the stairs just after Christmas, so now there's a plywood gate blocking them off.
Thought his time was up a couple of months ago, when we found weeping tumours around his rear. Took him on what we expected to be a one way trip to the vet, but it turned out the tumours were benign and operable, so one arm and a leg later (ours), he's back as he was again, although looking ridiculous with a bald rear end and tail in contrast to the rest of his scruffy long coat.
All our dogs are 'free running' , coming and going as they please, but they all have hung around the yard without wandering off.
We had one elderly dog about twenty years ago who was failing fast. This was a highly intelligent dog that had never wandered off in her whole life and knew how to behave around vehicles, but on one summer's afternoon a car pulled into our yard, with a dented front wing, and our dog's lifeless body in the boot. She had walked a third of a mile to a main road, and had what only can be explained as committed suicide by walking in front of a car.

Sorry to hear that Tel, there’s not much harder than losing part of the family fur covered or not.

My wee man has just turned 10 and I’ve noticed recently how old he’s looking :-(

Went to post that and realised it sounded like I was talking about an actual child. I’m not, we’ve got two rescued Staffie’s a boy and a girl. He’s 10, she’s 6; both have their issues following periods of abuse in their first years of life but we wouldn’t change them for a thing.

In all my 26 years, I have had many different animals. Such as decorative rats, cats, dogs, parrots, guinea pigs, decorative rabbits and even a pigeon (I found it with a broken wing and nursed it). Now I have a wonderful red cat named Simba, who has the same character as me, and a cool mega-calm and gentle rat - Ruby.

Attachments

• What pets do you have, and what pets have you had? photo_2021-12-12_10-51-21 - EletriciansForums.net
    photo_2021-12-12_10-51-21.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 9
  • What pets do you have, and what pets have you had? photo_2021-12-13_17-47-40 - EletriciansForums.net
    photo_2021-12-13_17-47-40.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 16
I do have a cat, as well as the dog, but the cat is on the payroll as a predator. I don't like him, and he doesn't like me, but as long as he keeps the vermin down, he can stay.
Our 14 year old collie cross, is still falling about a little, as in my last post, but last Saturday he gave us a real fright.
Around midday, my wife came out and said there's something seriously wrong with Max. He had started walking around in circles, and was now unable to stand up without immediately falling over.
I came in, and he was lying there, breathing heavily, head rocking around, and eyes moving continuously and rapidly from side to side. If I got him onto his feet, he would immediately into the nearest solid object. large Didn't look good at all.
Vet was closed, so turned to Google. Came up with "idiopathic vestibular disease", which fitted the symptoms perfectly.
This is apparently a common occurrence in older dogs, refers to the inner ear/brain balance system, occurs without warning, and for no known reason. The good news was that, after 48 hours or so, the symptoms should start to subside, rapidly at first, then, over a couple of weeks, should slowly disappear altogether.
That night, I used three mattresses to make what was effectively a padded cell for him to sleep in, or he would definitely have broken bones falling around.
Sunday morning brought little change, although I did get him to drink a little water.
Sunday evening, and there were small signs of improvement. Head still rocking, eyes still moving, but both not quite as badly, and I could get him to stand, as long as I stood over him, with one leg either side. Back in the padded cell overnight.
Monday morning came, and more marginal improvement, drinking a little more, an eating a few scraps of food, but by Monday evening, there were real signs of improvement, so no padded cell that night.
It's now Wednesday evening, all the head and eye movement has stopped, and he's just about back to normal, as long as he's lying down. He can stand OK now, and walk normally for several paces, but then he'll suddenly lurch to one side, so he's going for short walks outside on a very short lead, so that he can't fall over and hurt himself. Drinking normally, but still turning up his nose towards his usual biscuits, preferring to share our food instead.

Mabel, God bless her, passed away late 2020. Maud joined us early 2021 and in a few weeks is one year old. Both Jack Russell bitches. Wonderful creatures. I will post a photo of Maud when I next flash up my ipad.
Maud

(some extra words to satisfy the forum software checks)

Attachments

• What pets do you have, and what pets have you had? 3EA16BA6-2A71-4EC6-92A7-CB9496D12219 - EletriciansForums.net
    3EA16BA6-2A71-4EC6-92A7-CB9496D12219.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 14
They do ay pets are like their owners...or is it the other way around?

I wouldn't say that my cat is like me... The only similarity me and my cat have is that we are both whingy little farts when we are hungry...

Reply to What pets do you have, and what pets have you had? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock