Discuss what qualifications do i need to be a fully qualified electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chazkelly1985

hi guys been reading the forumfora while and thought i would ask this

im 25 and a keen DIYer however a few months back i was released from my tech support job (jobs relocateed to india)

so im thinking about retraining as a sparky

i was thinking about doing the olci course and was hoping someone here could tell me what qualifications i would need to call myself an electrician

i know i would be as skilled as a fully time served sparky but this way it should give me a way into this type of work thanks guys

well thats ok, iv got that so im halfway there now right?

lol cwm on guys a little help would be realy appreciated

All you need is NVQ level 3 (C&G 2356) and 17th edition (2382)

Then you can get a gold card, you do not need 2330 as is the common misconception.

Then you can get a gold card, you do not need 2330 as is the common misconception.

didnt know that lost a level 2 cert from 2330 although still got the level 3 will the jib accept this and give me gold card then?
also got the nvq3, 2382, 2391 but figured as i didnt have the level 2 cert they wouldnt grade me correctly and couldnt be bothered to try and get a replacement cert for level 2 (i have a photocopy of it though)

Not a misconception.......fact.

The grading requirements (which are slightly outdated) for electrician status, require at least a pass in the C&G 2360 part 2, OR equivalent i.e, 2330 L3

There are no doubt exceptions such as a "letter" from your "boss" but some form of electrical installation training must have been undertaken.

Lenny, I had the same argument with a mate, he done the NVQ and was still given a gold card... I argued for days over it; had to wind my neck in and apologise.

He went through delta training and just had to do a pre assesment course b4 he could do the NVQ. He even sent me the email he got off him

Here it is:

Good morning Craig,

Thank you for your enquiry with Delta Electrical Training.
I have attached preliminary information relating to the City and Guilds 2356 Electrotechnical NVQ 3 together with an application form.

You will need to have been working “as an electrician” for a minimum of 2 years in order to enrol with us for the award. Any less than this and you would need on-site assessments which we do not carry out. If you have more than 2 years experience, there is no requirement for an AM2 test.

Dependent upon the existing qualifications you already hold, there is the Standard Scheme or the Knowledge Assessment Scheme. The Standard Scheme is for candidates who hold an underpinning knowledge qualification for example the City & Guilds 2330 to Level 3. If you do not hold any underpinning knowledge qualifications, then you would need to complete the Knowledge Assessment but this will be explained in more detail should you decide to enrol with ourselves.

As you do not hold the relevant qualifications, you can complete the NVQ3 with knowledge assessment, which upon completion will allow you to apply for your JIB gold card.

The cost for the qualification is as follows:
Standard Scheme £595 plus VAT @ 17.5% = £699.13
Knowledge Assessment £815 plus VAT @ 17.5% = £957.63

Installments Available:-
Standard Scheme Deposit £250 £224.57 Month 1 £224.56 Month 2
Knowledge Assessment Deposit £350 £303.82 Month 1 £303.81 Month 2

The two installments would have to be paid on the same day of the following month that we take the deposit.

The NVQ3 is a work based qualification which can be commenced at any time.
The assessments are completed on-line using our e-portfolio system. The evidence which you will need to produce to support the narrative, is also uploaded onto the system. You will be assigned an assessor on registration, and you work with him to complete the requirements of the NVQ.

Candidates take an average of around 6 months to complete. You can complete in less time than this, the only rule is the City and Guilds “10 week” rule, whereby, they will not issue a certificate, if you were to complete in less than 10 weeks from registration.

If you wish to enrol with us, could you please ensure that you complete the registration form in full, paying particular attention to the Employment Duties section, as this is used to assess your suitability for the NVQ. Also, if you are eligible for the Standard Scheme, please provide us with a copy of your technical certificate.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
Kim Reid
Administration Assistant
Delta Electrical Training
Tel: 01254 240233

Lenny, I had the same argument with a mate, he done the NVQ and was still given a gold card... I argued for days over it; had to wind my neck in and apologise.

He went through delta training and just had to do a pre assesment course b4 he could do the NVQ. He even sent me the email he got off him

Here it is:

Good morning Craig,

Thank you for your enquiry with Delta Electrical Training.
I have attached preliminary information relating to the City and Guilds 2356 Electrotechnical NVQ 3 together with an application form.

You will need to have been working “as an electrician” for a minimum of 2 years in order to enrol with us for the award. Any less than this and you would need on-site assessments which we do not carry out. If you have more than 2 years experience, there is no requirement for an AM2 test.

How did he prove that he has been working as a spark without any formal quals???

Dependent upon the existing qualifications you already hold, there is the Standard Scheme or the Knowledge Assessment Scheme. The Standard Scheme is for candidates who hold an underpinning knowledge qualification for example the City & Guilds 2330 to Level 3. If you do not hold any underpinning knowledge qualifications, then you would need to complete the Knowledge Assessment but this will be explained in more detail should you decide to enrol with ourselves.

They do seem to have some kind of rule about having/not having underpinning knowledge qualies

As you do not hold the relevant qualifications, you can complete the NVQ3 with knowledge assessment, which upon completion will allow you to apply for your JIB gold card.

This backs it up IMO, as he did not have underpinning qualies he head to do extra coursework to prove competance.

The cost for the qualification is as follows:
Standard Scheme £595 plus VAT @ 17.5% = £699.13
Knowledge Assessment £815 plus VAT @ 17.5% = £957.63

Installments Available:-
Standard Scheme Deposit £250 £224.57 Month 1 £224.56 Month 2
Knowledge Assessment Deposit £350 £303.82 Month 1 £303.81 Month 2

The two installments would have to be paid on the same day of the following month that we take the deposit.

The NVQ3 is a work based qualification which can be commenced at any time.
The assessments are completed on-line using our e-portfolio system. The evidence which you will need to produce to support the narrative, is also uploaded onto the system. You will be assigned an assessor on registration, and you work with him to complete the requirements of the NVQ.

Candidates take an average of around 6 months to complete. You can complete in less time than this, the only rule is the City and Guilds “10 week” rule, whereby, they will not issue a certificate, if you were to complete in less than 10 weeks from registration.

If you wish to enrol with us, could you please ensure that you complete the registration form in full, paying particular attention to the Employment Duties section, as this is used to assess your suitability for the NVQ. Also, if you are eligible for the Standard Scheme, please provide us with a copy of your technical certificate.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
Kim Reid
Administration Assistant
Delta Electrical Training
Tel: 01254 240233

Seems that as he didn't have a recognised underpinning knowledge qualie, he had to undertake extra course assessments. Some form of training is obviously required in order to gain the card, the definition of exactly what eludes us all.:(

Seems that as he didn't have a recognised underpinning knowledge qualie, he had to undertake extra course assessments. Some form of training is obviously required in order to gain the card, the definition of exactly what eludes us all.:(

My lecturers and the NVQ assesors at college told me that you need the 2330 levels 2 and 3 to do the NVQ Level 3 (2356) and to be recognised by JIB. Some (if not all) centres will let you do the NVQ 3 without the 2330's but when it comes to JIB registration time this is when you will hit problems. I'm not talking from personal experience but from what I've been told by numerous assesors and by a friend who wasnt able to register with JIB because he didnt hold 2330 although he did hold the NVQ 3. From what I gather there is no rock solid definition of what a "fully qualified" sparky is. After many many hours investigating I still have no difinitive answer and in all honesty I dont think anyone does as there are many conflicting ideas and opinions. Some say you need the 2391, some say you dont. Some say you dont need the NVQ 3 as it doesnt matter if JIB recognises you or not as they only account for 18% of the industry. Some say thats wrong. At the end of the day I think if you have the 2330 levels 2/3 or equivelant, the 2356 ( or new 2357) and the 17th then your pretty much sorted when it comes to quals. But then again, it depends on who you ask :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to ask this, but is this not made clear on the JIB application form? Out of all the information I sent to the JIB the only training on the card was 2391, 2382, apprenticeship. My qualifications did not fit exactly with what they first asked for, improver I was told, but I perservered. Also its amazing what grading you can get if you somebody from your existing or previous company is prepared to give a reference.

Cheers:)

Got to ask this, but is this not made clear on the JIB application form? Out of all the information I sent to the JIB the only training on the card was 2391, 2382, apprenticeship. My qualifications did not fit exactly with what they first asked for, improver I was told, but I perservered. Also its amazing what grading you can get if you somebody from your existing or previous company is prepared to give a reference.

Cheers:)

I think thats the key mate, from what I gather there are no set rules across the board and every situation is different, maybe I'm wrong, but thats jus the way it seems to me

It seems to me that they set criteria but if you are in the closed shop things can be bent. In my case I used the weight of large automotive manufacturer and sequenced supplier and low and behold that did the trick. This is even though I, personally throught my experience and CV should have been enough.

Cheers

:)

Best advice I can give you is ,look at what the job market want 2330,2 and 3, Nvq ,17th Ed and sometimes 2391 and the jobs are there.The way the work front has gone they can ask for what they like and JIB make it up as they go along.Had 20yrs experience all sides of the world letters from former employers and plenty of qualifications and not apprentice in electrical.They regraded me four times in as many months and went to the board before they settle on one.I am a senior manager with a global company in the electrical world and know my ****.Other countrys wont even look at C & G and we let anyone in from anywhere and give them recognition as there cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
The official line from the IET (how to become an Electrician pdf)

Qualifications and training

The preferred means by which to become an electrician in the UK is to gain on of the following:

Apprenticeships: for young people

For school-leavers and young people, the most common route to a job as an electrician is through an apprenticeship in electrical installation. Apprenticeships are government-run training schemes, and comprise of on-the-job training, workshop practice and classroom theory. The theory-based learning is supported by the practical skills needed in the work place.
An Advanced apprenticeship in electrical installation takes 3-4 years to complete.
Typical apprenticeship framework:
Years 1-3 (day release):
The individual will achieve the following:
ï A Technical Certificate
ï NVQ / SVQ Level 3
ï Key skills: Communication
Application of Number
Information Technology
Working with Others
Improving Learning and Performance
Problem Solving
The Institution of Engineering and Technology - The IET Page 2 of 5
Year 4 (in the workplace), the individual must complete:
ï A site-based NVQ Log book at Level 3
ï AM2 practical test.

Course requirements:

ï GCSEs:
A pre-requisite for a modern apprenticeship may be GCSEs in maths, English and science (Grade C or above). Work as an electrician includes the following technical drawings, which demands a certain aptitude in this area. However an employer may waive this requirement on the understanding that the apprentice takes an aptitude test or undertakes further learning as part of the modern apprenticeship.
ï Employment in the electrical sector:
In order to achieve the required skills, the student must be working for an electrical contractor who can offer the full range of electrical experience (i.e. domestic, industrial or commercial). The employer is responsible for the wages of the apprentice.
NVQs / SAQs: for individuals who are already engaged in electrical work and
wish to gain formal recognition.

These qualifications are ideal for individuals who are already in the electro-technical industry as they are available to individuals of all ages and do not have to be completed within a specific time period. NVQs and SVQs are made up of units (often City and Guilds short courses), therefore allowing the individual to complete the qualification at their convenience.
ï National Vocational Qualification (NVQ), Level 3 ñ for individuals living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
OR
ï Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ), Level 3 ñ for individuals living in Scotland.
These are vocationally focused qualifications, designed by industry, for industry. Training is divided between the classroom and the workplace, therefore providing the theory needed for practical tasks in the workplace.

youll also need to pass the AM2 assessment. BUt to do this you do not have to have NVQ you can just use experience, but will need 2391 and 2382 and a lot of experience and knowledge

Reply to what qualifications do i need to be a fully qualified electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock