Discuss What qualifications do i need to disconnect or re-connect a three phase supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

borgmaster

I install ovens into large supermakets, within the bakery area, and sometimes these units are hard wired, most are three phase, some are single, upto 100amp supply, i have been told the installation and testing cert is needed, but we would not change the supply, only exchange the machine for the same type, but new.

I have the 17th edition, Part P, fire alarm installations, basic electronics and electrical, pat testing, microwave testing, and been in maintenance for 15 years.

I have also had a electrical test and testing at work, which was quite basic, testing machines for faults using meters, three phase plugs and installations, with 100 questions about the installations, which i passed, so wonder what others say is needed to complete the removal of machines that are hard wired and to install another machine.

But has its not a new installations and all tests and records have been carried out when the installation was completed, i am only taking off the 3P, N, E cables and to replace the machine and connect the new cables back up, but not to change the installation.

I can't see why you need to issue certificate just to change a fixed appliance. The appliance even if new should have an initial in service test and inspection to make sure it is not damaged. This type of equipment relies on the fixed installation for safe operation, so i would carry out a Zs and PEFC/PSCC on the circuit to make sure that all is well.

I can only think that the paperwork you need to issue must be the "in service test and inspection" records for the appliance which is in the fixed appliance part of PAT testing.

Cheers...........Howard

Yes you are right, the machines do come with their own test certificates and are pat tested before sent out, the customer only requires us to install the machines and is not wanting and test certificates for the supply, but we would pass the faults if seen to the right department, thanks

This type of equipment relies on the fixed installation for safe operation, so i would carry out a Zs and PEFC/PSCC on the circuit to make sure that all is well.
cheers...........Howard

Sounds like the right advice Howard

Its no different to swapping say, a metallic light in someone's house. I always carry out a earth loop test before and after fitting it. Safety is paramount.

Reply to What qualifications do i need to disconnect or re-connect a three phase supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net