Discuss what qualifications do i need in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good question. As far as I can make out you don't actually NEED to be qualified but instead you have to be compentant.

In my oppinion you can have all the qualifications in the world but that don't make you a brilliant sparky.

Good question. As far as I can make out you don't actually NEED to be qualified but instead you have to be compentant.

In my oppinion you can have all the qualifications in the world but that don't make you a brilliant sparky.

hi there

Woah neddy

The only way to prove competence is to pass some form of a test is it not?:confused:

How can you stand up and say you are competent unless you have proved by some formal means of training and testing ie 2391 :rolleyes:

This is what makes the difference between part p wannabee and skilled tradesmen who have done 5 years etc as apprentices The apprenticeship show both competence and training in a formal setting.

where this is not possible mature students there are countless ways of gaining both training and experience although i will say that under current climate that's is a very debatable point to say the least:)

cheers

just passed my testing test at college this monday ok i know it wont be upto 2391 standards

so your saying i shouldnt really be testing properties on my own

May i just point out that to have a qualification in testing is one way of proving you are competent to carry out inspection and testing.

You do not need a qualification to carry out testing on works that you have done, although there is a watered down 2391, to teach the basics.

Another important factor is insurance.

hi there

The only way to prove competence is to pass some form of a test is it not?:confused:

How can you stand up and say you are competent unless you have proved by some formal means of training and testing ie 2391 :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you are saying . Tests and assesments go a long way toward demonstrating competance but I've worked with people who have all kinds of certificates through passing tests but when it comes down to doing the job, just don't have a clue.

Just because you have a piece of paper dosn't make you competant. Equally, just because you don't have said piece of paper does that mean youre not competant?

The problem is that this trade has a lot of very grey areas and holes when it comes to qualifications, competance and ability. As a result there are less reputable "tradespeople" out there that call themselves electricians but would probably do better flipping burgers or something.

I'm afraid this is a subject we could all bang on about all day long ... but I don't think the problem will get any better for some time yet :(

:)Hi ,
This question was what i was trying to determine weeks ago and came to the conclusion that if you have CG 2391 and is proficent in the testing ways then in a court of law your CG2391 would stand up as you being competant because this course is intensive for inspection /testing and places you as a DUTY HOLDER in the eyes of the law, also you normally have to past the 17th 2381 before you can do the 2391 this reassures that everything makes sense in the 2391 as its a very low past rate exam (i.e Hard if not commited to it) .... as for insurance my friend .... cover your back. without cg 2391 ... your life and others are in your hands be careful and sensible also with inspection/testing a big part of it is experience and states withing the regs that inspectors and testers should have sound knoledge of testing procedures and be able to interpret the results as theres no point in testing and not knowing what limits there are on test results etc etc .... as my teacher said be very very careful before you put your paw print on any test certificates as your the DUTY HOLDER and fully responsible for what you sign off, hope this helps loopy loo :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to what qualifications do i need in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net