Discuss What Qualificiations I need to become Domestic Installer (Please Help) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkz786

Hi everyone,

4 Years ago in 2010 i studied Electrical Installation Level 2 2330 but dropped out 3 months early, still got 3 certificates not sure if that counts, but now I really want to get back into it and regret dropping out. Its also gone a bit more difficult and changed to 2365

Could someone kindly advise me on which Qualifications I require in order to be a Self Employed Domestic Electrician?

If i complete Level 2 and Level 3 Diploma's in College over 2 years, is that enough to start working? Or do i NEED to do the NVQ? Also how many years is the NVQ? I really want to qualify and start working as soon as possible. Please advise and im really stuck and in a dilemna :(

Thank you in advance

PS. Sorry if there is already a post regarding this, ive seen too many and they all say different things, so just wanted to get advice asap.

Well, you can sign up with one of the competent person schemes for about £450
You will also need the regs and on site guide, calibrated meter and a few other bits.

Do a job, get assessed and thats it - registered for domestic.

Iam currently in level 3 2365. You can work as a spark on ya own if you have relevant experience and confidence in yourself after college. You would also need part p to sign jobs off and really 17th edition and the am2 test all of which are extra cost. The nvq is not essential, it's more if a company requires you to have it or to go jib registered. Hope this helps.

What you need is overall competence and experience to carry out any task or installation that may be asked of you without any help or supervision. You also need to be able to carry out fault finding using your experience and knowledge of testing to safely and accurately diagnose possible faults. You need to be fully trained and conversant with circuit design and all the associated calculations. You need competence and experience in testing your own work and an in depth working knowledge of the regulations, both electrical and building, as well as associated relevant documents.

I would suggest that someone who dropped out of level 2 would not yet possess the above skills to consider working for themselves unsupervised and advertise themselves as a professional electrician.

Your best course would be to go and complete the recognised training route, an NVQ3, and pick up experience working as a a mate whilst doing so.

What you need is overall competence and experience to carry out any task or installation that may be asked of you without any help or supervision. You also need to be able to carry out fault finding using your experience and knowledge of testing to safely and accurately diagnose possible faults. You need to be fully trained and conversant with circuit design and all the associated calculations. You need competence and experience in testing your own work and an in depth working knowledge of the regulations, both electrical and building, as well as associated relevant documents.

I would suggest that someone who dropped out of level 2 would not yet possess the above skills to consider working for themselves unsupervised and advertise themselves as a professional electrician.

Your best course would be to go and complete the recognised training route, an NVQ3, and pick up experience working as a a mate whilst doing so.

More like it.

Just goes to show how far the trade is sinking, after reading #4 .......and with #3, we're up to our neck in quick sand.

Well, you can sign up with one of the competent person schemes for about £450
You will also need the regs and on site guide, calibrated meter and a few other bits.

Do a job, get assessed and thats it - registered for domestic.

Spot the Electrical Trainee (Hint, it isn't Andy.)

Iam currently in level 3 2365. You can work as a spark on ya own if you have relevant experience and confidence in yourself after college. You would also need part p to sign jobs off and really 17th edition and the am2 test all of which are extra cost. The nvq is not essential, it's more if a company requires you to have it or to go jib registered. Hope this helps.

What is this part P he'll need?

Thank you guys

so basically if i do 2365 level 2 and 3, i can start working as a mate and work towards nvq3?

what is AM2? Also how many additional years required for NVQ3?

realistically how long from today till i can be self employed or work for a company?

Thanks!

As others have put experience and competence is key not qualifications, although they are very useful if you want to be employed and paid abetter wage than say a mate etc.

You can do the NVQ through one of the forum sponsors XL training I believe. Also look on the internet search engines for where you can do the AM2 local to yourself, obviously both have quite a heavy cost to do.

Depending on you experience you could maybe get employed straight away as a mate or improver by a firm.

Going solo is a lot different as you are sole responsible the work carried out,pricing business costs etc. which brings big responsibility with it so don't think that as soon as you are qualified you can go it alone unless you feel you absolutely confident you can and have researched it heavily.

What is this part P he'll need?

Isnt that when when you hear stranger approaching when having a wee in a place you shouldn't so have to stop suddenly and act natural whilst you bladder beats you up inside trying to pass the rest of the urine which you are stopping from flowing?

Ok guys

im gonna enrol in college for level 2 2365, and then do the level 3 and while im at it look for a placement as a mate/improver.

after that would i be able to get into employment without doing NVQ ?

or what else will i need to obtain in order to get employed

and most importantly whats required to become JIB recognized and how many years am i looking at?

Ok guys

im gonna enrol in college for level 2 2365, and then do the level 3 and while im at it look for a placement as a mate/improver.

after that would i be able to get into employment without doing NVQ ?

or what else will i need to obtain in order to get employed

and most importantly whats required to become JIB recognized and how many years am i looking at?

Sounds good. Ask your local college about the best routes for you and the courses they run... do it today though as you have probably missed this years enrolment and might have to pull some strings to get in right now.

At a day a week expect to take 3-4 years to do the level 2 and 3 and the NVQ. It may be possible to do these courses faster but please check out the quality of whichever centre you choose... there are some real rip offs out there..

Apply for jobs as a mate and be keen to learn. Get the right mentor/employer and you will learn a lifetime's worth of skill and knowledge whilst earning.

It's a slow and steady curve to do things properly I'm afraid .... but without qualification and experience, to go self employed right now would be leaving yourself in a pile of unpleasantness way above your head.

Chances are you would get work as an electrician with your levels 2 and 3 if you could prove your worth... but a JIB grading would only let you hold a trainee or electrical improver's card I believe.

The JIB currently require a full NVQ3 (which includes core courses levels 2 and 3 and AM2) to be graded as electrician.

Thank you so much andy, my college enroling until 28th, but i will go in on monday to enrol, its 2 days a week i believe,

My main concern was if i could start working after the 2 years of level 2/3 while i do nvq, but you have answered it for me,

how long does the NVQ take and what is AM2?

Regards

I started working at the age of 16 with no quals at all mate. AM2 is basically a trade test.
No idea how long the NVQ3 takes, I think it depends on how much you put into it.

Reply to What Qualificiations I need to become Domestic Installer (Please Help) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net