Discuss What should I do in this situation of poor and incorrect wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SeanA

-
Reaction score
A friend of mine is having some building work done by some incompetent tradespeople and the wiring in their bathroom was done by a plumber who is not a qualified electrician my friend was having problems so I agreed to have a look at it (I am not a qualified electrician I should point out).

The first thing I noticed was that the plumber had attached a shaver socket and a towel rail to the lighting circuit but not put that on the consumer unit isolator for the lighting circuit. I then found that the shaver socket was only being held in by one screw and was loose. Also the earth in the light switch on the wall outside the bathroom was not connected inside the switch.

My friend was also having problems with lights further on in the circuit and I found out that the neutral had come loose as it was attached to the circuit using a terminal block connector. I have replaced the terminal block with a junction box as I personally don't like terminal blocks especially for work intended to be permanent. The earth was also not properly connected as well.

While fitting the junction box to replace the terminal blocks I noticed that the wiring is using incorrect colours for example there is several instances of brown and red neutral wires with no sleeving, there was also a blue live wire. None of the wiring or junction boxes have been fastened to the rafters and an excessive amount of wiring has been used so its become tangled.

I have spoken to the electrician for the project who has mentioned that they put in a quote to do the bathroom electrics but the person overseeing the project declined it and choose to have it done by the plumber so the electric work in the bathroom has not been certified and signed off, my friend wasn't aware of this. The electrician has offered to certify it for a fee however given how bad it is I don't think the electrician would be able to certify it without major changes.

Given the state of the electrics and the incorrect wiring I have suggested the best cause of action is for my friend to get a new electrician in and replace it all and maybe report the plumber and the person overseeing the project to trading standards. What would you say the best course of action is?

Hi - I’d say the best thing to do is tell your friend what you’ve seen so far and that it needs to be done again by someone qualified to do the job. Safety, reliability, insurance and building approvals are likely at risk just now.

You can try telling them what is wrong an dthat they should get the electrician who is doing the rest of the work to re-do it, but if they've already decided they'd rather put their lives at risk getting a plumber to do it just to save a few quid I doubt they'll now pay to have it re-done.

Is this your friend that has got a plumber to do the electrics, if so then you reap what you sow. Take the hit and get it done properly.

However if your friend has hired a main contractor to do the works and he has hired a plumber to do the electrics then they should be demanding the whole lot is ripped out an done by a qualified electrician, they should take the hit to get it done properly.

You really can't be too careful with electrics and doubly so in a bathroom.

OP , I admire your tenacity for trying to rescue the situation, but the reality is once the wiring starts getting closed in there will be very little you can do.

The customer is very unlikely to pay twice to have it all ripped apart and re-done

Just because he’s a plumber doesn’t necessarily mean he isn’t a competent electrician. ;) If his wiring is dodgy .... are you sure he’s actually competent plumber and not just an all round bodger?

Sadly you have made matters worse in that you have worked on the installation changing to a junction box. So if you went to trading standards the persons who did the original work will say it is not their work someone else has worked on it. You may be in the frame instead of the rogue traders. As you say you are not qualified you may put yourself in the way of prosecution and your friend as he is responsible for ensuring electrical work is undertaken safely at law. So it may backfire spectacularly! First, never involve yourself in this manner and tell your friend unsafe work may leave him open to prosecution. His insurance will be void in the event of an electrical fire or someone being harmed through his cavalier approach as well as prosecution and difficulty selling the house. Sheesh!

She didn't ask the plumber to do it, the builder overseeing the whole project asked the plumber and the electrician to give quotes for the electrical work in the bathroom and the builder overseeing it chose the plumber although my friend wasn't made aware of it until she noticed the electrics in her attic looked a mess and she spoke to the electrician who mentioned to her that she didn't install the electrics.

She has mentioned that she is wanting to have the whole electrics re-done so its a new electrician by the sounds of it. From what I gather though the builder who oversaw the building work is not very good as there are some structural issues with his work.

Regarding me installing the junction box I have photographed everything before and after several times to show what it was like.

Notifable work?
Plumber and your mate both breaking the law?
Plumber and the main contractor surely?

I've a feeling this builder is running amok and baffling the lady client with BS.

OP, tell her to stand her ground and Insist it is all redone by a competent electrician

using incorrect colours for example there is several instances of brown and red neutral wires with no sleeving, there was also a blue live wire.

Do you mean they've used to red and brown as neutrals and blue as a live....or are you assuming that those are the relevant colours?

Regarding me installing the junction box I have photographed everything before and after several times to show what it was like.
That does not exonerate you it makes it worse as you now have evidence you interfered in others work. As soon as you work on the circuit/installation you carry liability for it. So photos will not take that away. It is a pretty serious matter if things go wrong and will not help you or your career. The point to take out of this is that never ever interfere in someone else's work unless you are taking on the responsibility for it totally.

I'd still like to know why the OP referred to a brown and red as a neutral and not having sleeving and lives as blue...surely it should be blue as a live say as in a switch without sleeving but still unsure as why a res or brown would need sleeving and why more theyd be a neutral

From what I understand she didn't ask for the plumber to do the electrics the person overseeing the project did and she wasn't aware that the plumber had done it and it was only by chance that she found out about what had gone on. From what I understand she wouldn't have allowed the plumber to do the electrics if she had been aware he was going to.

using incorrect colours for example there is several instances of brown and red neutral wires with no sleeving, there was also a blue live wire.

Do you mean they've used to red and brown as neutrals and blue as a live....or are you assuming that those are the relevant colours?

They have used a wire with red insulation and at another point a brown wire both of which are neutral wires. There is a Live wire as well where the insulation is blue coloured.

Reply to What should I do in this situation of poor and incorrect wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock