Discuss What should i expect when wiring new build housing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I start a new job tomorrow and my first job is first fixing a load of new builds, the thing is, os that I've never worked on new builds before, so what should I expect, I.e, are boxes going to need chasing in? Am I going to have to drill through the joists for cable routes etc, I know every site is different, but what's the norm? Are there any tools that are a must have? I'm trying to gauge as much info as possible before starting

most new builds I come across are either all stud walls so dry lining boxes, metal boxes on the walls and then dry lined over the front, you cut out after or sometimes dryliners will do it. If you have metal stud work then you set the metal work to the right centered height so when fixing the back box the bottom is 450mm etc.
a lot of new builds are modular prefab designs and a bit like an ice cream sandwich, two layers of wood with insulation between. drylined inside with a cladding of stone or wood outside.
will likely see a lot of engineered joists and beams with knockouts, so dont go drilling random holes to run cables as it can weaken them. even drilling in the zones cane be a non starter on these, you should use the knockouts.

Take your time on the first one to get your routes all sorted and get a feel for where to drill holes etc

Then the second and subsequent units will be much easier

Done a lot of 1st fixing on sites,I always do the hardest bits first.
Like fixing/flushing boxes in,drilling joists if required,wiring,sheathing & finally tidying up.
It sounds simple & easy,it’s not,but it’s all in a days sork ,good luck.

Check the plans for locations of radiators and double check which way doors swing..
Get yourself a good cable spool made up and pull as many cables through the main route at once instead of 1 at a time

Ask the joiner to keep his 1st nog by the door above 1200
i used to get the wood butchers to fit noggins sideways 3/4" recessed at switch height. then ideal mounting for K/O box.

Tried that before but they got the depths all wrong, especially when there is a box to go on the other side of the nog
Get them to fit 4x1 and fit 35mm boxes
It’s just what we do on our new build sites, get the joiners to turn them for the light switch positions

Tried that before but they got the depths all wrong, especially when there is a box to go on the other side of the nog
what would you expect? 2 boxes would mean a wood butcher using both brain cells when 1 is permanently clock watching.

Check the plans for locations of radiators and double check which way doors swing..
Get yourself a good cable spool made up and pull as many cables through the main route at once instead of 1 at a time

I go back quite a few years since I was on new build sites

It never mattered how sure you would be where the light switch was supposed to be sited,if the chippie hung the door the wong way,even the good and diligent could end up with a light switch behind the door through no fault of their own

When people do make comment,its never mentioned that the door has been hung the wrong way,its always the electrician has put the switch switch behind the door,bless them dear chippies

Reply to What should i expect when wiring new build housing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock