Discuss What size cooker feed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cirrus

Was wiring a kitchen yesterday and the guy is having an electric range cooker installed and I needed to get a feed to it. The councils ask us to put in 6mm t&e as standard but will sometimes agree to 10mm. However, this cooker is rated at 14.1kW!!!! I calculated that at about 61A. Now surely I can't be expected to try and install 16mm t&e and worse still - terminate it in the cooker?:eek: I appreciate I have to factor in diversity but -
What is worse, his main cut out is only 60A and he also has a 10kW shower, 4 ring mains as well as the usual lighting circuits, water heater etc..
The council will not pay for 16mm so instructed me to pull in 10mm and leave it at that. Your thoughts chaps?

Good question ,how does it work out if you wire it in micc,maybee you can satify everyone that way
i dont do this type of work and didnt bother finishing the 16 edition course ,due to head blow off ,so please treat it as a sugestion rather tham a solution
atvbitwww

Nah, neither do I and yesterday it was a case of too many differing opinions. AGA reckon 10mm is fine and even 6mm would just about be ok too!

was just looking at some ranges on t'interweb....similar sort of spec...they recommend connection through 45A conn/switch.

how long's the run?

not too bad really...i mean 10mm's rated at 63A using ref method 1. so with diversity in effect would've thunk would be ok, but don't quote me on that. better off doing sums and what-not, obviously.

what's the diversity calc for cookers? don't have osg to hand.

First 10amp of rated current then 30% of the remainder
Dont forget to add 5amp if sso on ccu.

25amp with diversity
30amp if socket on ccu

What size cooker feed? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Eh?

Sorry CIRRUS NOT WISHING TO DISAGREE BUT I CANT SEE WHY YOU CANT USE MINERAL FOR DOMESTIC WORK ,IVE USED IT FOR LISTED BUILDINGS AND FOR COMERCIAL KITCHINGS AND AS LONG AS IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY IS THE BEST JOB YOU CAN HAVE ,I WOULD DO IT ANYWAY AND BILL WHOEVER
ATVBITWWW

nah, MI is old hat now and only used in chemical situations / petrol stations etc. There is no way anyone would consider using it on domestic nowadays

Easyfox is right with his diversity calcs;)

dont you guys use this as standard?????

i have lost count of the number of sparks i have had to explain this too, what is even more surprising is the number of them that GENiUNELY hadnt heard of it before.:confused:

And why 10mm?

or even 6mm?

or even 4mm for that matter??????

if theres no BS1363 outlet in the CCU, by Ib In Iz you could put it on a 25A 60898 and run in 2.5 assuming method 1 (27A)

even 4mm could be considered as 'throwing excessive copper' at the problem!!!!!

ho, hum. we live and learn!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
go for it....be able to cook some wee roast tats on the 2.5 when you're making sunday dinner.

where do you get the 25A 60898's from?

Well, the standard is to use 6mm in domestic situations and this is why the council spec 6mm with 10mm for larger cookers. We have to use 10mm as a matter of course on our showers too. We don't normally have to worry about applying diversity or any calcs because the emphasis on council jobs is speed so the brain work is generally done for you. You aren't trying to tell me thet you would be happy recommending 2.5mm to a customer with a cooker rated at 61A max?

Reply to What size cooker feed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock