Discuss what size grips for 240 swa singles? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jibspark

Hi all,

ive got a job comming up where i will be glanding alot of large swa's, most about 240 singles i think.

what size grips do you think i will need? all ive got at the mo is bog standard 10" ones.

ive always used grips, i agree that spanners would be alot kinder to the gland but i would end up spending a fortune on different sizes.

Where necessary, on large glands, I hold the tightened base of the gland with a spanner and use stilsons to tighten the "armour lock". Have found in the past that stilsons tend to be too thick to hold the gland base without getting in the way when tightening the "armour lock".

Last edited by a moderator:
"2 pairs of 36 inch stillsons " and why would they slip ,ive never had a pair slip yet and never marked a gland bad enough to worry about it ,
good luck

hang on 240mm singles are we talking transformer/switchgear if so the armour will be ally so will glands, probably 32/40 gland so not very large,also non ferous gland plates
yourse benji

460 channel lock from rs about £20 each
benji

Last edited:
thats a good point! i think they are 40's.

theres me thinking about a 4 core or something but actually they are gonna be pretty small. sweet!

hang on 240mm singles are we talking transformer/switchgear if so the armour will be ally so will glands, probably 32/40 gland so not very large,also non ferous gland plates
yourse benji

460 channel lock from rs about £20 each
benji

Well spotted benj ,i was thinking about 4 core armoureds ,ive never had anything to do with singles or ally glands ,but ive done quite a few big armoureds ,but i missread the origional question ;)

once did some 630mm 3 per phase used erma thick wall lugs when you crimp with hyd. crimper hex dies you had to allow for lug increasing in length (cocked up first one )always lug them about 4mm short now
yours benji

once did some 630mm 3 per phase used erma thick wall lugs when you crimp with hyd. crimper hex dies you had to allow for lug increasing in length (cocked up first one )always lug them about 4mm short now
yours benji

Yep, done some 630 singles for Water Board. Enjoy big stuff better !

Reply to what size grips for 240 swa singles? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock