Discuss What size is this supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A relative in West Cheshire sent me this pic. He is contemplating having an EV charger and other electrical appliances fitted. He asked me if he has a 60A or 100A supply. From this pic, it looks like a 100A supply with 60A fuse fitted for some reason. He wants it to be 100A. Any ideas?

1643300343434.png

1643300021496.png

A relative in West Cheshire sent me this pic. He is contemplating having an EV charger and other electrical appliances fitted. He asked me if he has a 60A or 100A supply. From this pic, it looks like a 100A supply with 60A fuse fitted for some reason. He wants it to be 100A. Any ideas?

View attachment 94366

View attachment 94365

We can only go on the same info as you, and so I would agree - a 100A carrier with 60A fuse.

Get him to contact supplier to see if they can upgrade it

It’ll be a 60 Amp supply fuse inside the service head.

They’ll need to speak to the DNO if they want the supply uprating to 100 Amp.

What a pity we’re (generally) not allowed to pull the fuse, open up the carrier and have a look.

I know electricians are supermen among tradespeople, but x ray vision is beyond even me.
Sometimes that pesky little fuse fairy helps us out…👀

I know DNOs in some areas were putting in 60A main fuses in 100A supplies. I assume to discourage excessive use as their system overall cannot cope. Like some here, I assume this is a 100A supply with a 60A fuse. So a 100A fuse would not harm anything.

If the DNO a number of years back did downgrade the fuse, then it would be matter of slotting a 100A fuse back in. Even if the DNO does not know. How naughty.

If the house was orginally 100A, then they downgraded it to 60A, then they have to upgrade at their expense?

I’m sure you/your relative are aware already, but if EV is the motivation then there are some pretty clever chargers these days that monitor the demand and only charge when the cooker/shower are not in use.
So all is not lost with a 60 amp supply. I still have 60A at my house.

I know DNOs in some areas were putting in 60A main fuses in 100A supplies. I assume to discourage excessive use as their system overall cannot cope. Like some here, I assume this is a 100A supply with a 60A fuse. So a 100A fuse would not harm anything.

If the DNO a number of years back did downgrade the fuse, then it would be matter of slotting a 100A fuse back in. Even if the DNO does not know. How naughty.

If the house was orginally 100A, then they downgraded it to 60A, then they have to upgrade at their expense?

Cut out might be rated to 100A, but if a 60A fuse is fitted it's a 60A supply.

In other news, I'd suggest not going down the route you seem to be headed - especially after posting images that identify the property in question to any DNO employees who might stumble upon this thread.

I’m never good at identifying earthing conductor sizes from photos - but they all look similar making me wonder if they are all 10mm sq mm?

No, it wasn't originally a 100A supply. It's just the maximum rating of the cut out is 100A. Just like the max rating of an isolator for example.

He said he thinks that 60A label was put on when he went over to a smart meter. If you look at the seal it looks newish, which may indicate the fuse was downrate, being initially a 100A fuse.

He said he thinks that 60A label was put on when he went over to a smart meter. If you look at the seal it looks newish, which may indicate the fuse was downrate, being initially a 100A fuse.

They may well have put a label on to identify the fuse. They probably didn't change the fuse though.

Reply to What size is this supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net